Removing the front clip

Moderator: FORDification

jzjames
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Removing the front clip

Post by jzjames »

How do I remove the front clip, what’s the step-by-step, from those of you who’ve done it?
How many people does it take to lift it off?
Any heads-ups is appreciated.
390FE1972
Blue Oval Fan
Blue Oval Fan

Re: Removing the front clip

Post by 390FE1972 »

There are a couple good videos on youtube that go thru the procedure a little differently. The first video is "67 Ford F100 front end removal" by Texasknowhow, and the other is "1972 F100 Build Series EP:1 Front Clip" by Black Label Garage. Take a look at these. Hope these help.

Regards
1972 F250 Sports Custom 390 FE C6 2WD Dana 60 4:10 gears
Ranchero50

Post by Ranchero50 »

Order 100 5/16" spring clips with 3/4 and 1" U bend and factory style 5/16" fender bolts in both 3/4 and 1" lengths.

Get the cooling and wiring systems out of the way. Then remove the hood, inner fender to cab rubbers and inner fender to cab brackets at the hood hinges. Remove the rear fender bolts, one at the bottom and one from inside the fender gap at the door. Remove the front bumper, core support bolts and slide everything forward to the ground. Once on the ground take it apart and replace all the buggered hardware with the new stuff.
'70 F-350 CS Cummins 6BT 10klb truck 64k mile Bahama Blue

Contact me for CNC Dome Lamp Bezels and Ash Tray pulls.
jzjames
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by jzjames »

390FE1972 wrote:There are a couple good videos on youtube that go thru the procedure a little differently. The first video is "67 Ford F100 front end removal" by Texasknowhow, and the other is "1972 F100 Build Series EP:1 Front Clip" by Black Label Garage. Take a look at these. Hope these help.

Regards
Thanks, I’ll study those.
jzjames
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by jzjames »

Ranchero50 wrote:Order 100 5/16" spring clips with 3/4 and 1" U bend and factory style 5/16" fender bolts in both 3/4 and 1" lengths.

Get the cooling and wiring systems out of the way. Then remove the hood, inner fender to cab rubbers and inner fender to cab brackets at the hood hinges. Remove the rear fender bolts, one at the bottom and one from inside the fender gap at the door. Remove the front bumper, core support bolts and slide everything forward to the ground. Once on the ground take it apart and replace all the buggered hardware with the new stuff.
Thanks I’ve looked at the bolts at bottom of fender, and the core support bolts. Those will probably take some work to get loose.
So leave the cab brackets attached to the cab.
Ranchero50

Post by Ranchero50 »

Either, or. Witness mark everything so it goes back sort of where it was. Hood is probably the most difficult to fit after the doors which never fit well from the factory.
'70 F-350 CS Cummins 6BT 10klb truck 64k mile Bahama Blue

Contact me for CNC Dome Lamp Bezels and Ash Tray pulls.
jzjames
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by jzjames »

A trick I’ve used over the years;

With a hood that needs to get removed, before removing it, drill a couple of 1/8” holes thru the hood hinges into the mounting area of the hood. Lining the hood up is then as simple as sticking the 1/8” bit thru the locating holes upon remounting the hood.

Sure has saved me a lot of time and headaches when popping off the hood. And NOBODY will ever notice the tiny locating holes.