Woodgrain Decal

Inside the cab...appearance, repair, upgrades

Moderator: FORDification

t-waits

Woodgrain Decal

Post by t-waits »

Before buying a huge roll of film to redo dash panel inserts is there anybody who has some scraps left over that could be purchased?
t-waits

Re: Woodgrain Decal

Post by t-waits »

https://www.rmwrapsstore.com/collection ... -real-wood

Found the above vendor which has a great selection of woodgrain film. As it turns out samples are $3.00 which are approx. 8X10 making them more than enough to complete the dash and switch bezels. Below is a comparison to the original dash bezel
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by t-waits on Wed Apr 03, 2019 5:14 am, edited 1 time in total.
t-waits

Post by t-waits »

Started by making an index card template from the original and transferring it to the new bezel from DC. As everyone knows DCs bezel is produced for the 70-72 models and has the Walnut Burl Wood design and wont match the switch bezel. I never realized the top portion is wider than the bottom where the blue tape is.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
t-waits

Post by t-waits »

The index card did not work very well so I peeled the Walnut decal from DCs and used it for the templates.
t-waits

Post by t-waits »

Finished right hand switch bezel on the bottom and the original left side on top. A little cherrier than I realized but with all three bezels matching most will not be able to know there's a difference.
t-waits

Post by t-waits »

The new bezel and woodgrain made the rest of the dash look not so nice. Tried cleaning but the more that was cleaned the worse it looked so here we are...gutted and getting ready for paint
t-waits

Post by t-waits »

I did not realize how dingy the switch bezels were. Polishing wheel made them like new.
timachone

Post by timachone »

Looks all nice :clap:

Thanks for sharing :thup:
Tim :drive:

1970 Ford F250 360 FE 2V C6
1973 Ford Mustang Mach 1 351C 4V 4-speed
2012 Ford S-Max 2.0 EB AT
2017 Skoda Fabia Monte Carlo MT
t-waits

Post by t-waits »

Finished up the dash and installed all the switches and hardware. The dash pad was painted using https://tcpglobal.com/ for the vinyl paint which is the best I have used. Make sure and use a good quality degreaser on all interior parts before painting to prevent "fish eyes" from remnants of interior protectants. Pretty straight forward on all the switches but the heater control assembly was a pain but made much easier with ashtray, radio and glovebox liner removed.
t-waits

Post by t-waits »

With the dash done I pulled the seat and started working on the pillar paint behind the cab. I had every intention of painting it but on a whim I used some polishing compound just to see and the results were great. On the left is the polished portion so no painting just a lot of elbow grease.
MikeB

Post by MikeB »

t-waits wrote:Finished right hand switch bezel on the bottom and the original left side on top. A little cherrier than I realized but with all three bezels matching most will not be able to know there's a difference.
That turned out really good. I have the walnut which was not bad but the rest of the bezel was rough. I bought a new one from DC. Now I’m on the hunt to match the burl on the door panels. Not having much luck. You may be able to sell the walnut you pulled off your new DC bezel to someone on this site.

Your interior is looking great keep sharing your progress.
1972 F250 4x4 XLT stock but P.O. hacked
2010 F350 CC LB 4x4 stock