Dana 24 issues

Questions about 4WDs and related topics

Moderators: FORDification, Doug Comer

69Highboy

Dana 24 issues

Post by 69Highboy »

This is a very stupid question, but I'll ask it anyways. A little while ago I got a 1971 F250 4x4 "HD" (factory overloads+big front axle) with Spicer hubs and a Dana 24 transfer case that is missing the shift lever pivot point and everything above that. The hubs did not spin freely but they spun continuously which led me to believe they were toast. A few days ago I decided to check the hubs (although I have freshly rebuilt ones that I'll put on instead) and try to figure out the shift pattern for the t-case. I found out that the hubs work, they just don't tell you where lock is and the don't have a "stop" for the centers. But when I tried to tell the shift pattern for the t-case, I was stumped. In one position (N I assume) the tranny to t-case driveline would sag and move freely. In 2 other positions, the front driveshaft was "frozen" and wouldn't spin. In the other 2 (I think there may have been one more but it wouldn't stay in it) you could spin the front driveshaft and the rear would move too. Now for the question. The final two positions seem to be 4wd but, if they are, why is the front driveshaft immobile in the other positions? Could one or both of the hubs be in the "locked" position and be causing the front driveshaft to be frozen in what may be 2wd??
1968 F250: Old Whitey. Almost replaced Old Red. Sold.
1968 F250: The Blur. Replaced by New Red. Sold.
1969 F250 4x4: Old Red. 3rd gen family truck. Retired in favor of New Red.
1970 F250: Big Red. One of my brother's many (sold) trucks.
1971 F250 4x4: Yella or "Big Mustard". My truck.
1992 F250 4x4: New Whitey. Sold in favor of Old Red.
2000 F250 4x4 Diesel: New Red. Project hauler extraordinaire.
2015 F350 4x4 Diesel: The White Truck. Wrecked and rebuilt.
2019 F350 4x4: Diesel: White Lightnin'. Workhorse and luxury combined.
Lee

Re: Dana 24 issues

Post by Lee »

Hi,
Starting at the seat and working forward to the dash in a straight line:

4H. 2H. N. 4L

The front drive shaft should spin freely when in 2H and N..... If front hubs are not locked.

The front drive shaft should NOT spin when in 4H and 4L..... If front hubs are not locked.

If both front hubs are locked.... Front drive shaft should NOT spin in any T-case gear.

Lee