temp gauge doesnt work

Charging, starting, lighting, gauges, HVAC

Moderators: FORDification, Thunderfoot

joe hermanek

temp gauge doesnt work

Post by joe hermanek »

I have a 1971 ford f-250 automatic,390, I installed a set of gauges under the dash oil gauge works,volt gauge works, but not the water temp gauge i've got it installed on top of intake manifold in a tee so i can keep stock temp gauge in dash would it be possible that the aftermarket temp gauge probe doesnt go down far enough into the intake to register right now it reads nothing is there another place i could install the temp probe ? thanks
markguiver

Re: temp gauge doesnt work

Post by markguiver »

Is the gauge grounded good? That could cause it not to register. If thread sealer was used that could also be an issue. Just throwing some things to check in trouble shooting.
Mark.
1975 F-250 4X4 (The Beast)
1971 Bronco Sport
Lee

Post by Lee »

Hi,

I think you already nailed it.... Probe needs to be installed deep in manifold.

This is how I did it.

On the thermostat housing cover, does it have a threaded plug in it? My does,..... this is where I screwed in the original temp gauge sending unit. Then put the aftermarket sending unit in the manifold.

The advantage here is ... when you first start up the engine,... the aftermarket gauge will reflect first,.... then as the thermostat opens the original gauge will deflect. Helps to troubleshoot an over heating problem caused by a sticking thermostat.

Lee
joe hermanek

Post by joe hermanek »

if i didnt want to replace the thermostat housing i there a another place on the block where i could put the probe or the stock electric sensor?
Lee

Post by Lee »

Hi,

I take it then your thermostat housing doesn't have the plug?

I don,t know of any other place to install.

Lee