Turning distributor without changing the timing

Charging, starting, lighting, gauges, HVAC

Moderators: FORDification, Thunderfoot

crazzmc

Turning distributor without changing the timing

Post by crazzmc »

I got an awesome new air filter but my HEI distributor is in the way. Is there a way I can turn it so the tab with the wires isn’t smashing into the air filter?

I don’t know how to turn it without changing the timing is there a specific way of doing this?

Figuring out this whole restoring process with my 68' F100.
Lee

Re: Turning distributor without changing the timing

Post by Lee »

Hi,

Yes you can..... But I may have a hard time explaining it.

Most distributors usually have a post labeled "1" . But you don't necessarily have to put number 1 plug wire there.... Number 1 can be any post on the distributor you want as long as when you install the distributor you make sure the rotor points to the post with the #1 plug wire on it. Of course with #1 piston at tdc.

So,... Place #1 at tdc,... Pull out the distributor.... Rotate the distributor until you find the best position that clears you air cleaner and seat it there. Now look to see which post the rotor is pointing to.... this is your new #1 post.... Then just follow the firing order to place the rest of your plug wires on their posts.

You will have to re time the engine ob course when you crank it.

Lee

Hope this makes sense,
Lee
sargentrs
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by sargentrs »

Or you could just add an air cleaner spacer on top of the carb. Figure out how high you have to lift it to clear and still not interfere with the hood. Then pick a spacer that fits the criteria. https://www.summitracing.com/search/par ... ner=SREPD4
Randy
1970 F100 Sport Custom Limited LWB, 302cid, 3 on the tree. NO A/C, NO P/S, NO P/B. Currently in 1000 pcs while rebuilding. Project thread: http://www.fordification.com/forum/view ... 22&t=59995 Plan: 351w, C4, LSD, pwr front disc, p/s, a/c, bucket seats, new interior and paint.
1987 F-150 XLT Lariat, 5.0/C6 auto.
cep62
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by cep62 »

:yt:

Or get an air filter base that is flat across.
crazzmc

Post by crazzmc »

cep62 wrote::yt:

Or get an air filter base that is flat across.
Tried looking for an offset air cleaner base, but none of them are 13 inches :(
sargentrs wrote:Or you could just add an air cleaner spacer on top of the carb. Figure out how high you have to lift it to clear and still not interfere with the hood. Then pick a spacer that fits the criteria. https://www.summitracing.com/search/par ... ner=SREPD4
Bought some spacers, need to get a longer stud now to attach to the top. It still doesn't fit perfectly, but it might do for now.
Lee wrote:Hi,

Yes you can..... But I may have a hard time explaining it.

Most distributors usually have a post labeled "1" . But you don't necessarily have to put number 1 plug wire there.... Number 1 can be any post on the distributor you want as long as when you install the distributor you make sure the rotor points to the post with the #1 plug wire on it. Of course with #1 piston at tdc.

So,... Place #1 at tdc,... Pull out the distributor.... Rotate the distributor until you find the best position that clears you air cleaner and seat it there. Now look to see which post the rotor is pointing to.... this is your new #1 post.... Then just follow the firing order to place the rest of your plug wires on their posts.

You will have to re time the engine ob course when you crank it.

Lee

Hope this makes sense,
Lee
Hey Lee,

I tried this, but it just wasn't working out. I moved my distributor to clear the filter and when I needed to set the correct timing it still was hitting, the vacuum line to the carb was not reaching or the wires for the ignition weren't reaching. Every way I fiddled with it just made it worse haha. For now I'm trying out the spacer, I may get off of the HEI anyway as everyone says they are kinda junk. Just not sure what to replace it with, all I know is I have to find something with a steel gear.

Thanks for the insight guys!
Figuring out this whole restoring process with my 68' F100.
sargentrs
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by sargentrs »

Nothing wrong with a Duraspark! https://youtu.be/m88xAflUotM And you can just get some threaded rod at your local hardware store til you find a longer stud for your carb
Randy
1970 F100 Sport Custom Limited LWB, 302cid, 3 on the tree. NO A/C, NO P/S, NO P/B. Currently in 1000 pcs while rebuilding. Project thread: http://www.fordification.com/forum/view ... 22&t=59995 Plan: 351w, C4, LSD, pwr front disc, p/s, a/c, bucket seats, new interior and paint.
1987 F-150 XLT Lariat, 5.0/C6 auto.