Ordered a kingpin set

Post progress reports on your project truck(s)

Moderator: FORDification

FORDification
Site & Forum Admin
Site & Forum Admin

Ordered a kingpin set

Post by FORDification »

I ordered the full front suspension/steering kit from PST about 6 weeks ago, and the kingpin sets weren't in stock, so they backordered them. I kept calling them every couple of weeks to check on their status, only to be told "it'll be a couple more weeks". I called them again this afternoon, and was told....again...."It'll be a couple more weeks". I got fed up and told them to just cancel my order and credit it to my charge card, and then I called the local parts store, who said they can have a set here in the morning. As soon as they arrive, I'll be dropping the I-beams, spindles and kingpin sets off to the machine shop for installation....and hopefully I'll FINALLY be able to get started reassembling my front suspension this coming weekend!
____| \__
-O-----O- Keith
'67 F-100 2WD SWB ~ '69 F-100 4WD SWB w/7" chop ~ 1975 F-250 Ranger XLT Supercab Camper Special
ImageImageImage
My '67 restoration video
-> Posting and you! <-a MUST watch for all!!
FORDification
Site & Forum Admin
Site & Forum Admin

Post by FORDification »

Kinpin set, I-beams and spindles are at the machine shop as we speak. I told them I wanted them done by Friday night so I could get to work installing them this weekend and they said no problem. :D
____| \__
-O-----O- Keith
'67 F-100 2WD SWB ~ '69 F-100 4WD SWB w/7" chop ~ 1975 F-250 Ranger XLT Supercab Camper Special
ImageImageImage
My '67 restoration video
FORDification
Site & Forum Admin
Site & Forum Admin

Post by FORDification »

Well hell...if it ain't one thing, it's another!

Picked up my complete I-beams/spindle assemblies from the machine shop (they're purty!) and was unloading them at my shop when it dawned on me that there was a problem. When I had them press out the pivot bushings to I could powdercoat the I-beams, he removed the entire bushing and shell. The polygraphite bushings I'll be using require re-using the old shells. Unfortunately, they got boogered up when they were removed. However, remember back a few weeks ago when PST sent me the stock rubber bushings instead of the polygraphite? That meant I had another set of brand new shells, so I ran everything back up to the machine shop for him to remove the rubber portion of the bushings and press the shells back into the I-beam.

I just went back to see how he was coming, and found out they closed today at 1 PM....and I showed up at 1:06! dammit! Guess I'll have to wait until Monday.
____| \__
-O-----O- Keith
ImageImageImage
My '67 restoration video
willowbilly3
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

re: Ordered a kingpin set

Post by willowbilly3 »

Keith did you get the front end back under your frame yet? Pictures?
Great ideas have always encounter violent opposition from mediocre minds.
FORDification
Site & Forum Admin
Site & Forum Admin

Post by FORDification »

No, not yet. I wasn't able to pick up the parts from the machine shop until Wednesday afternoon, but I headed down to the shop today in the hopes of getting it all put together. However, I ran into a little snag with the front spring mounting pads. I've added another webpage update at http://www.fordification.com/my67-p30.htm showing what I was up today. Basically, I ended up spending the day sandblasting and painting more parts.

I've set aside next Saturday to get started assembling the front end, since I BELIEVE I now have everything I need. The county fair is also next weekend, and my wife has informed me we're going, so I'm going to try to get an early start before having to come home and get cleaned up to hit the fair Saturday evening.
____| \__
-O-----O- Keith
ImageImageImage
My '67 restoration video
jck_in_nc

Post by jck_in_nc »

The same thing happened to me. I ordered the rebuild kit from the same place, the machine shop destroyed the metal shell, and I had to buy another bushing set. I turned it into an opportunity for a road trip to NPD, about an hour and a half down I-85.

Keep working. I'm copying you.

jck
Frame-off Restore
1967 Longbed F-100
FE Engine, 3-speed
Greensboro, NC