Wipers won't shut off

Charging, starting, lighting, gauges, HVAC

Moderators: FORDification, Thunderfoot

Bob 2+2

Wipers won't shut off

Post by Bob 2+2 »

Hope someone can help with this because I have no idea what could be wrong. I've tried 3 different wiper switches and none of them will shut off. Both speeds work but when I go to the off position it runs on slow speed. I should add that this is on a 1979 F100 but is basically the same as the older bump sides and thought some of you guys might be able to help. When I got the truck the wiper switch was missing along with a lot of other things so I can't say if it was already messed up or something went wrong from sitting for a lot of years.
sargentrs
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Re: Wipers won't shut off

Post by sargentrs »

Do you have the intermittent wiper option?
Randy
1970 F100 Sport Custom Limited LWB, 302cid, 3 on the tree. NO A/C, NO P/S, NO P/B. Currently in 1000 pcs while rebuilding. Project thread: http://www.fordification.com/forum/view ... 22&t=59995 Plan: 351w, C4, LSD, pwr front disc, p/s, a/c, bucket seats, new interior and paint.
1987 F-150 XLT Lariat, 5.0/C6 auto.
Bob 2+2

Post by Bob 2+2 »

well at first I got an intermittent set up out of a salvage yard but when it didn't work I thought it was probably no good so I just ordered a 2 speed switch. When it didn't work I took a known good switch from another project truck and when it didn't work I figured the problem must not be the switch.
'
sargentrs
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by sargentrs »

Maybe a bad ground at the wiper motor? Try connecting a jumper wire from the motor mounting plate to another ground point. I keep a 3 ft wire with alligator clips on the ends in by tool box just for this purpose.
Randy
1970 F100 Sport Custom Limited LWB, 302cid, 3 on the tree. NO A/C, NO P/S, NO P/B. Currently in 1000 pcs while rebuilding. Project thread: http://www.fordification.com/forum/view ... 22&t=59995 Plan: 351w, C4, LSD, pwr front disc, p/s, a/c, bucket seats, new interior and paint.
1987 F-150 XLT Lariat, 5.0/C6 auto.
Bob 2+2

Post by Bob 2+2 »

Thanks Sargentrs,
I actually did try that but no luck. After doing a little more research on line I found out that the wiper motor has an internal switch that may have gone bad. I banged on the motor a few times and got it working for a couple of times and then it went back to not shutting off. Decided what the heck I may as well take it out and have a look before I bite the bullet and get a new one. Long story short now it shuts off but doesn't return back to the down position. I thought about tearing into it again but the insides were looking kind of worn anyway so I ordered a rebuilt one.
Thanks for the suggestion though.