Bed drainage

Moderator: FORDification

stpackard

Bed drainage

Post by stpackard »

I’m going to do some body work on the bed supports and the bed itself, and while I’m at it, I’d like to put some sort of weep holes at the forward side of the bed. If any of you have ideas for placement, especially since the cross member is right in front, thanks in advance.
Sam
basketcase0302
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Re: Bed drainage

Post by basketcase0302 »

I remember having to do the same thing to a dent I owned several years ago, (due to how/where I had to park it leaving the front end always lower than the back of the bed for drainage). Yet I simply drilled a few holes in it and called it a day, (younger days). :lol:

But if I had to do it again I'd "sandwich" a few "bulkhead fittings" into the bed sheet metal / hook up some short pieces of rubber tubing (routing the drainage downward away from the frame) and call it a day. Your local Ace or Lowes should have a few to select from but if not go to your nearest marine supply in search of bulkhead fittings similar to this one, (their made of brass / stainless / plastic / etc. so your choices are endless). :wink:

Jeff
http://www.fordification.com/forum/view ... 22&t=46251
SOLD-71 F-350 dually flatbed, 302 / .030 over V-8 with a "baby"C-6, B & M truckshifter, Dana70/4.11 ratio, intermittent wipers, tilt steering, full LED lighting on the flat bed, and no stereo yet (this way I can hear the rattles to diagnose)! SOLD!
Many Ford bumps / one 76' EB / and several dents through the years.
A lot of "oddball" Ford parts collected from working on them for 34 years now!
2008 Ford Escape 4 x 4
jzjames
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by jzjames »

Get under the bed and look for the best forward locations to drill a couple holes in the bed floor. One in each corner.

If you can’t drill them from the underneath, calculate the exact locations to the top side of the bed floor and drill 5/16” holes. Smear the underside of the holes with some good tar, be sure to keep the holes cleared of debris.
stpackard

Post by stpackard »

Thanks for the input guys
basketcase0302, I like the idea of giving the holes something of a 'downspout' to rout the drainage - thanks. jzjames, I agree about each corner front/rear, and I suppose I could even put one in each corner next to the wheel arch. I think I'll find some 3/4" conduit, cut about a 4" piece, bore the holes in the extreme corners/rout them around cross members, then weld them into place on the bottom side so that they're draining away from frame and gear.
I suppose I'd then blast out seams, underside, powerwashing and boring weep holes in crossmembers, degrease/metal prep, then por15 seam sealer in the seams, then por15 paint and a topcoat over/under it all.
What is it called when a hole is shaped conically to drain out the bottom?