resistance wire

Charging, starting, lighting, gauges, HVAC

Moderators: FORDification, Thunderfoot

khnaess

resistance wire

Post by khnaess »

Hello
I got a 1972 F250 with a 390 cid and a previous owner installed pertronix ignition on this truck. I am not very familiar with electronic but I am trying
to understand this system. I have read somewhere that the original resistance wire have to be removed when going pointless. So I checked the wire that goes from the torpedo wall and to the + side of the coil with a voltmeter, and it showed about 12v. So I guess the resistance wire must have been removed. I looked under the dash just out of curiosity but everything looked original under there. I couldnt see any new wires or any signs of a resistance wire. The black insulation was not opened as far as I could see.
So my question is: Do all cars have this resistance wire or is my truck an exception? Where is the accurate position of this wire? Is it near the ignition or near the torpedo wall?
Ranchero50

Re: resistance wire

Post by Ranchero50 »

Check the coil voltage with the truck running. It should match the battery. Even that isn't a 100% guarantee. You can pull the ashtray out, cut the covering off the bundle and see if the little pink wire was still there. It's about 7 feet long.
'70 F-350 CS Cummins 6BT 10klb truck 64k mile Bahama Blue

Contact me for CNC Dome Lamp Bezels and Ash Tray pulls.
khnaess

Re: resistance wire

Post by khnaess »

Thanks! I will check it out.