issues with starting or not starting

Charging, starting, lighting, gauges, HVAC

Moderators: FORDification, Thunderfoot

joe hermanek

issues with starting or not starting

Post by joe hermanek »

working on my 1971 f-250 tonite,man i'm confused earlier i replaced the wiring in the column and now when i go to start it when i put the positive cable back on the battery it starts to arch sparks like its not grounded and the motor starts to turn over and the key is in the off position i put a new solenoid on it awhile ago and everything was fine somebody posted earlier that they didn't think it could be the neutral safety switch out of position
dont know where to go from here any thoughts ? thanks joe
sargentrs
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Re: issues with starting or not starting

Post by sargentrs »

Sure you got the small wires on the front of the solenoid correct? I got them swapped one time and that happened to me. As soon as I connected the battery she started cranking and wouldn't stop until I disconnected it.
Freaked me out. :doh: :oops:
Randy
1970 F100 Sport Custom Limited LWB, 302cid, 3 on the tree. NO A/C, NO P/S, NO P/B. Currently in 1000 pcs while rebuilding. Project thread: http://www.fordification.com/forum/view ... 22&t=59995 Plan: 351w, C4, LSD, pwr front disc, p/s, a/c, bucket seats, new interior and paint.
1987 F-150 XLT Lariat, 5.0/C6 auto.
390FE1972
Blue Oval Fan
Blue Oval Fan

Re: issues with starting or not starting

Post by 390FE1972 »

On the starter solenoid the small left front terminal is the (S) terminal and it should have the Red/Blue striped wire connected to it, and the small right front terminal is the (I) terminal and it should have the Brown wire connected to it. As long as your wiring is the original wiring.

Hope this helps! :thup:
1972 F250 Sports Custom 390 FE C6 2WD Dana 60 4:10 gears