cab mounts are different? How to fix this?

Moderator: FORDification

Gittinwidit

cab mounts are different? How to fix this?

Post by Gittinwidit »

I am replacing a 1970 F350 cab with one from unknown year, well besides being another bump side. But the cab mounts are like totally different. I'm sure it has been done in the past but I'd like to know what you did to fix it? Do I need to start hacking on the floors to swap out or is there like a simpler solution?
The ones on it now are ones I'm accustomed to that are the same for all the 73-79 series that I've seen. And it's a single cab extra long wheel base. The cab I'm trying to replace it with the mounts look very similar to all of the pre 64 mounts and even 66 F350 mounts I have seen. It's a crew cab if that matters. Not even close as far as I can tell before placing the cab to determine.

Just trying to cheat and get an idea before I get started. Any help would be super!!!
basketcase0302
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Re: cab mounts are different? How to fix this?

Post by basketcase0302 »

So your trying to put slick, (early 60's) rear cab mounts onto a crew bump era truck? :hmm:

Pretty sure the cab mounts changed as the bodies were totally different from slick to bump.
Not 100% positive but DC does show a different part number for slick versus bump cab mounts:
https://www.dennis-carpenter.com/en/pro ... B0%5D=1966
Jeff
http://www.fordification.com/forum/view ... 22&t=46251
SOLD-71 F-350 dually flatbed, 302 / .030 over V-8 with a "baby"C-6, B & M truckshifter, Dana70/4.11 ratio, intermittent wipers, tilt steering, full LED lighting on the flat bed, and no stereo yet (this way I can hear the rattles to diagnose)! SOLD!
Many Ford bumps / one 76' EB / and several dents through the years.
A lot of "oddball" Ford parts collected from working on them for 34 years now!
2008 Ford Escape 4 x 4
Gittinwidit

Post by Gittinwidit »

No, I was talking about the front cab mounts. And was only comparing them to what I've seen on the early 60's. This is a 67-72 crew cab I'm trying to put on a 1970 F350 frame.

The other difference I saw was the hood hinges mount to the firewall on this crew cab. I had 2 other 67-72 crew cabs that had the regular front cab mounts like the 73-79 series. This crew I have now id totally different.

I can take pics tonight if it helps?
Gittinwidit

Post by Gittinwidit »

The 67-72 series crew cab I have has the CITZ-5A100R/L cab mounts on the front. Like the ones on this website.

http://www.flashbackf100s.com/usa_made_ ... air_panels

I have no idea what the cab came off of but by guessing it was most likely a 67-72 F350 4x4 being why such an odd ball.

So I guess in theory, I'm basically trying to figure out how to mount a 64 cab onto a 1970. Weather it has been done. What was involved and how.

My instincts would be to cut out the floor and replace it from the 1970 F350 donor cab. Unless there is an easier way?
DuckRyder

Post by DuckRyder »

Any chance this is from a larger truck like an F500 or F600?

Some pictures might help...

Agree with your proposed solution based on what we know...
Robert
1972 F100 Ranger XLT (445/C6/9” 3.50 Truetrac)

"An unarmed man can only flee from evil, and evil is not overcome by fleeing from it." -- Jeff Cooper
Gittinwidit

Post by Gittinwidit »

Agree. Most likely from a bigger truck. I will take some pics tonight.
Gittinwidit

Post by Gittinwidit »

Although my sticker is gone, the door tag is still there. F61 / it's a F600 cab.

The angles on the floor are different so looks like the floorboards will be getting the knife. And there's a large cross brace under the back that will need it as well. Besides that it appears it will go on there. Redo the steering to exit the firewall and it appears to be cut and dry.

But I'm sure the procedure will change as I go...
basketcase0302
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by basketcase0302 »

Ahh... F-600 cab! :thup:

You'll run into a few other differences in the F-600 cab, (versus the F-100 thru F-350).
Have seen a few guys here graft the bump era F-600 fenders and hood onto the bump era F-100 thru F-350 bodies here in the past-but never an entire cab as your doing. Sounds like it will be a show stopper for sure.
I think you have a good plan on grafting the entire floor section in and maybe the only viable plan, keeping in mind there exists cab width differences also that you'll need to be aware of that you'll have to accommodate for? :hmm:
Jeff
SOLD-71 F-350 dually flatbed, 302 / .030 over V-8 with a "baby"C-6, B & M truckshifter, Dana70/4.11 ratio, intermittent wipers, tilt steering, full LED lighting on the flat bed, and no stereo yet (this way I can hear the rattles to diagnose)! SOLD!
2008 Ford Escape 4 x 4
Gittinwidit

Post by Gittinwidit »

Sounds like I need to do a little more measuring tonight... You are saying the front clip from a F350 is narrower and won't just bolt on? Interesting for that's my only option. And grills and rad supports aren't vary easy to stretch.
basketcase0302
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by basketcase0302 »

I can't say for sure-just going on memory of what I've seen guys build here over the years.
Try to search Fordification here for "F-600 fender" or "F-700 fender" to find the members trucks I speak of, (as every time I attempt to run a search engine her I get an error message for years now).

This section in the tech helps explain the difference(s) in the core supports from our smaller trucks versus the F-600 / F-700 series cabs-that might help you a little:

http://www.fordification.com/tech/radsupport.htm
Jeff
2008 Ford Escape 4 x 4
Gittinwidit

Post by Gittinwidit »

This has been covered plenty of times with a search now I know what I'm trying to accomplish in words: "F600 cab swap" "F600 cab differences".

I plan to use everything I can from the F350 so hopefully it simplifies things. I just need to measure to make sure the F350 front clip bolts up to the F600 cab. That's the only bit of info I haven't found yet. And easy enough to just report back after I just try it myself.

I have a few custom jobs under my bet. Just never dealt with a F600 yet. Very much looking forward to another crew cab build! Those are fun cause everybody wants one. My last two CC builds got sold before I finished.
basketcase0302
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by basketcase0302 »

Here's one of the threads I spoke of where one member did the grafting that might help.
I'd forgotten that Craig, (fordman) had some expertise in this too:

http://www.fordification.com/forum/view ... hp?t=42451

Our member Killacobra is another that has done this, (but sadly KapnKaos is no longer with us):

http://www.fordification.com/forum/view ... hp?t=40003

Would love to see the finished truck! Please start a build thread or come back and show it to us. :wink:

Good luck and may your busted knuckles be few LOL. :lol:
Jeff
2008 Ford Escape 4 x 4