67 F100 Headlight Switch

Charging, starting, lighting, gauges, HVAC

Moderators: FORDification, Thunderfoot

Motorhead60

67 F100 Headlight Switch

Post by Motorhead60 »

I just replaced the Headlight Switch in a 67 F100 with a new LMC Truck switch, now the parking lights stay on even when the truck is off. The New LMC Truck light switch wont push in all the way, the internal spring holds it out, there is no click to hold it in. If you push on the switch knob and hold it in the parking lights go off, but pops back out. The old switch has a click when pushed in to hold it in the off position. Could it be a faulty new switch?
sargentrs
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Re: 67 F100 Headlight Switch

Post by sargentrs »

Sounds like a bad switch. Hard to get quality electrical components these days.
Randy
1970 F100 Sport Custom Limited LWB, 302cid, 3 on the tree. NO A/C, NO P/S, NO P/B. Currently in 1000 pcs while rebuilding. Project thread: http://www.fordification.com/forum/view ... 22&t=59995 Plan: 351w, C4, LSD, pwr front disc, p/s, a/c, bucket seats, new interior and paint.
1987 F-150 XLT Lariat, 5.0/C6 auto.
Motorhead60

Post by Motorhead60 »

Thanks for the response and confirming what we thought. It is maddening when you are working with a new part and it is faulty. Working on older vehicles is always an adventure.
67 short box

Post by 67 short box »

I would take the stem back out and try to re install it. probably wont work but easy to try.
Motorhead60

Post by Motorhead60 »

We pretty much tried everything including removing the stem (knob) and re-inserting several times. We even tried having both of us inserting it and removing it, no luck, still not finial click when pushed all the way in. Today I went to the salvage yard and pulled two switches (contingency planning), both have a click when pushed all the way in, the new LMC switch does not. So I am assuming it is a faulty switch, and will be returning. I plan to install one of the salvage switch this evening. The salvage switches are in excellent shape so I have high hopes, fingers crossed. The old switch worked for turning the headlights on and off, but the twist mechanism (white wheel) was totally busted, so no cab light or dash lights. The good news is the LMC switch did allow us to turn on the cab light and the dash lights worked, so a working Headlight switch will be nice.
67 short box

Post by 67 short box »

I replaced mine awhile back, forgot where I got it, but I got lucky and it works good. the original one and another one from a donor 72 would work except for the dome light. those dome lights are a pain, or at least mine is. it worked for a long time then yesterday it wouldn't come on. lost its ground. why are they so hard to keep grounded? I just took out the screws and put them back in and working again