Anodized Aluminum steering wheel horn ring

Inside the cab...appearance, repair, upgrades

Moderator: FORDification

idahiboy

Anodized Aluminum steering wheel horn ring

Post by idahiboy »

I was polishing my horn ring and there were some deep pits that needed more aggressive sanding.... I "wore through" a layer in a few spots and it's a different color (brighter silver) with a super thin "copper like" layer.

So that copper layer is the "anodized"? Do I need to sand through all of that or did I ruin the metal? There was really no way to remove these small pin hole pits without the going that deep

For some reason I can't post photos right now as trying to attach but saying "too large"

I have read a few of the other threads on "how to" with aluminum but didn't see this "copper colored layer" discussed

Thanks for any advice
1968 F250 FE 390
idahiboy

Re: Anodized Aluminum steering wheel horn ring

Post by idahiboy »

20190718_144015.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
1968 F250 FE 390
CH3NO2

Post by CH3NO2 »

Horn rings are chrome plated. Every thing that gets chrome plated is plated in copper first to help the chromium stick to the part. So if you are down to the copper it will have to be replated.
idahiboy

Post by idahiboy »

CH3NO2 wrote:Horn rings are chrome plated. Every thing that gets chrome plated is plated in copper first to help the chromium stick to the part. So if you are down to the copper it will have to be replated.
Thanks for the response..... It was not "magnetic" in any way when tested so I thought it wasn't chrome..... Is it aluminum below the copper? Can I just sand through the copper everywhere and then buff and clear coat?
1968 F250 FE 390
sargentrs
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by sargentrs »

I believe they are cast aluminum. New repros are only $100 and there are several used ones on Ebay now for under $40. So what the heck, I'd go for it.
Randy
1970 F100 Sport Custom Limited LWB, 302cid, 3 on the tree. NO A/C, NO P/S, NO P/B. Currently in 1000 pcs while rebuilding. Project thread: http://www.fordification.com/forum/view ... 22&t=59995 Plan: 351w, C4, LSD, pwr front disc, p/s, a/c, bucket seats, new interior and paint.
1987 F-150 XLT Lariat, 5.0/C6 auto.