Floor pan options: US vs Import

Moderator: FORDification

dtcohen

Floor pan options: US vs Import

Post by dtcohen »

I have been going back and forth on which floor pans to purchase for my 68 f100. I have been going back and forth on the US made parts vs the import parts, and here is why.

US made - They claim to be heavier gauge, but they aren't stamped quite right. They have several spots where the metal is overlapped to make the bends. I am not sure that they will fit that well. They are pictured in the link below.
https://www.fullsizebronco.com/forum/6- ... brand.html

Import - Claim to be same gauge as original and are stamped correctly. They look like they would be easier to fit and would look more original when installed. This is what most of the parts suppliers sell, including Dennis Carpenter.

The price is about the same.

So which floor pans have you used and what are your thoughts?
MAK
Blue Oval Fan
Blue Oval Fan

Re: Floor pan options: US vs Import

Post by MAK »

I can’t comment on comparisons to imports, but I used the ones from Dennis Carpenter in my truck years ago. I just used sections on both sides and did not replace the whole panels. I was worried about alignment and problems matching the rolled indentions, etc. but they fit great for me. I was also happy with the lower cab corner patch panels that I got from them too.
sargentrs
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by sargentrs »

I bought some from a member (new in box) who got them from NPD. When I got them, they had DC stickers on them. NPD sometimes buys in bulk from DC, at a discount, and resells them cheaper than DC. Anyway they were a perfect match and I only had to trim where I cut them off because I didn't replace the entire pan. They did seem a litttle lighter though. I work in a sheet metal fabrication shop. I took a piece of the original and a piece of the new one to work and checked their thickness. The original floor pan was 18 ga and the repro was 19 ga. Not much of a difference (.00625") and barely noticeable. I have no "waffling" in my floors. You can see the replacement on page 18 in the build thread in my signature. DC's about as good as you're going to get quality-wise.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Randy
1970 F100 Sport Custom Limited LWB, 302cid, 3 on the tree. NO A/C, NO P/S, NO P/B. Currently in 1000 pcs while rebuilding. Project thread: http://www.fordification.com/forum/view ... 22&t=59995 Plan: 351w, C4, LSD, pwr front disc, p/s, a/c, bucket seats, new interior and paint.
1987 F-150 XLT Lariat, 5.0/C6 auto.
stpackard

Post by stpackard »

I believe flashbackf100s.com sells USA made floorpans, and he says he is the only place you can get them.
I bought DC and they were overseas made but appear to be holding up.
70xlt

Post by 70xlt »

I’d check with flashback, I replaced the pans and cab mounts at the same time, he had good advice on the quality. Tom a straight up guy,
Busboy
Blue Oval Fanatic
Blue Oval Fanatic

Post by Busboy »

Flashback gets his from Dennis Carpenter, he told me himself.
1967 F-100 4x4 custom cab.
Another 67 F-100 4x4 custom cab.
2016 F-150 Eco-Boost 2.7 liter. (It will smoke the tires!)
1972 F-350 Sport Custom cab & chassis.
1972 F-250 Explorer Special, Camper Special.
1971 F-100 custom. 302, C-4, p.s. p.b. factory 65 amp alternator with transistorized voltage regulator.
jzjames
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by jzjames »

So where does DC get their floor pans from?

I bought “Key Parts” floorpans for a Jeep CJ, and they were solid.

http://www.keypartsonline.com/
dtcohen

Post by dtcohen »

I called Dennis carpenter. They confirmed that their floorpans are imported.

The company that makes them in the USA is called Tabco. I called them and they told me that they aren’t stamped like the original pan would have been.

Both versions are about the same price.
Raiver

Post by Raiver »

70xlt wrote:I’d check with flashback, I replaced the pans and cab mounts at the same time, he had good advice on the quality. Tom a straight up guy,
Sounds like Flashback is the best option to get them.
Ranchero50

Post by Ranchero50 »

Tap any replacement with your fingernail, them tap a factory panel. Definite difference. I went with a pan and mounts out of a '78 or so bronco. Worked fine.
'70 F-350 CS Cummins 6BT 10klb truck 64k mile Bahama Blue

Contact me for CNC Dome Lamp Bezels and Ash Tray pulls.