Repair Cab mounts first? Or floor pans?

Moderator: FORDification

Fordinblue20

Repair Cab mounts first? Or floor pans?

Post by Fordinblue20 »

Hello,

My 1969 F250 Floor pans and Cab mounts are shot. I can’t take it any more and would really like to get it fixed. Unfortunately, I have absolutely no welding experience.. is this a job I could research and figure out on my own? :hmm: Should I repair the cab mounts first or the floor pans?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Fordinblue20

Re: Repair Cab mounts first? Or floor pans?

Post by Fordinblue20 »

More pictures
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
sargentrs
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by sargentrs »

A liitle of both. I would start with the cab mounts first. Looks like where the upper edge of the cab mount meets the floor pan, the pan is still pretty solid. Mark the top edge and sides of your old cab mount onto the existing floor pan. Then cut the cab mount loose. The bottom flange of the cab mount is spot/plug welded to the floor pan but since you're replacing that you can cut the floor section out without grinding off those welds. Then locate your new cab mount at the top along the outline you made but leave the rest loose. Cut your old floor pan out and tack the new one in place. Fold your cab mount down against the pan and tack it. Then weld it all out. Here's a photo of mine with the cab mount hanging over the cut out floor. My mounts were good and only need floors replaced. Passenger side just needed patching.
Randy
1970 F100 Sport Custom Limited LWB, 302cid, 3 on the tree. NO A/C, NO P/S, NO P/B. Currently in 1000 pcs while rebuilding. Project thread: http://www.fordification.com/forum/view ... 22&t=59995 Plan: 351w, C4, LSD, pwr front disc, p/s, a/c, bucket seats, new interior and paint.
1987 F-150 XLT Lariat, 5.0/C6 auto.
Fordinblue20

Post by Fordinblue20 »

sargentrs wrote:A liitle of both. I would start with the cab mounts first. Looks like where the upper edge of the cab mount meets the floor pan, the pan is still pretty solid. Mark the top edge and sides of your old cab mount onto the existing floor pan. Then cut the cab mount loose. The bottom flange of the cab mount is spot/plug welded to the floor pan but since you're replacing that you can cut the floor section out without grinding off those welds. Then locate your new cab mount at the top along the outline you made but leave the rest loose. Cut your old floor pan out and tack the new one in place. Fold your cab mount down against the pan and tack it. Then weld it all out. Here's a photo of mine with the cab mount hanging over the cut out floor. My mounts were good and only need floors replaced. Passenger side just needed patching.
I love that You make it sound so easy my friend haha That alone gives me all the confidence I need to get this done. At first I was going to fix the cab mounts without removing the cab but it looks a lot cleaner doing the whole underside of the cab. What brand/model welder do you recommend?
sargentrs
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by sargentrs »

Oh, it's simple but not that easy. A lot of cut, fit, measure and trim followed by a lot of in, out, squat, stand, crawl.
I borrowed a Miller 110v 130a MIG from work and it worked fine for the job. When I buy my own I'll be looking for Lincoln, Miller or other name brand, 130a-140a. I'll stay with 110v-120v. I don't feel the need for anything heavier because I'll mostly just use it for sheet metal. I'd rather pay an extra $200 for the quality/reliability/support and availability of parts and supplies.
Randy
1970 F100 Sport Custom Limited LWB, 302cid, 3 on the tree. NO A/C, NO P/S, NO P/B. Currently in 1000 pcs while rebuilding. Project thread: http://www.fordification.com/forum/view ... 22&t=59995 Plan: 351w, C4, LSD, pwr front disc, p/s, a/c, bucket seats, new interior and paint.
1987 F-150 XLT Lariat, 5.0/C6 auto.