Bench seat re-upholstered cost?

Inside the cab...appearance, repair, upgrades

Moderator: FORDification

KulpFarm

Re: Bench seat re-upholstered cost?

Post by KulpFarm »

I just reupholstered my bench seat. Took the old seat upholstery to a local shop and they used it as a template. For $280, they gave me tips to rebuild the foam and put the new upholstery on.
They told me to wait until the temp was in the 90s, sit the material in the sun,do a preliminary stretch, let it sit so more and then do a finally stretch. Worked well.
mbloes

Post by mbloes »

You're in California? I used Erwin's Custom Upholstery in Pasadena. Cool, one-man shop that does excellent custom work. My bench was all black vinyl but with some striping detail where you sit. $600.00.
geradr4

Post by geradr4 »

KulpFarm wrote:I just reupholstered my bench seat. Took the old seat upholstery to a local shop and they used it as a template. For $280, they gave me tips to rebuild the foam and put the new upholstery on.
They told me to wait until the temp was in the 90s, sit the material in the sun,do a preliminary stretch, let it sit so more and then do a finally stretch. Worked well.
Got any pics? I'm planning to re-upholster my seat also.
Mwburg

Post by Mwburg »

Restoring my 1971 F250. On this thread it sounds like the '73+ seats are a significant comfort improvement over the bump side era. Does anyone know if the 73-79 seat foam will fit on my 1971 seat frame? Still looking for seat back foam. Also, if anyone has their original 1970-71 seat cover (smooth vinyl on each end and in the middle, "basketweave" vinyl pleats in seating area) I would appreciate dimensions (width of smooth surfaces, number and width of pleats, anything to help the shop reproduce the original). Thanks!

mwburg
1971 F250 Stakebed
360 4 speed.
The Bandit

Post by The Bandit »

Mwburg wrote:Restoring my 1971 F250. On this thread it sounds like the '73+ seats are a significant comfort improvement over the bump side era. Does anyone know if the 73-79 seat foam will fit on my 1971 seat frame? Still looking for seat back foam. Also, if anyone has their original 1970-71 seat cover (smooth vinyl on each end and in the middle, "basketweave" vinyl pleats in seating area) I would appreciate dimensions (width of smooth surfaces, number and width of pleats, anything to help the shop reproduce the original). Thanks!

mwburg
1971 F250 Stakebed
360 4 speed.
The 72 and older seats are completely different than the 73 and up so no they will not fit. As far as foam goes any upholstery shop or fabric shop will have the foam for our seats. I recovered my sat using a cover that I got from NPD and foam from my local fabric store and it turned out fine.
"Don't believe everything you see and read on the internet." Abe Lincoln
1972 F100 custom SWB 302/C4 Auto PS No AC Wimbledon white and rusty..