bulletproof overdrive trans?

Clutch, transmission, rear axle

Moderators: FORDification, 70_F100

bleedfordblue

bulletproof overdrive trans?

Post by bleedfordblue »

I am researching the installation of a nv 4500 in my 68 shortbed. Advance Adapters sells an adapter plate to go between the stock ford bellhousing and Dodge/Chevrolet transmission. I was wondering if anyone has performed this swap or has had any experience with this trans. I especially like the thought of an overdrive trans with an iron case, 5.61 1st gear, 27% overdrive, and synchrornized reverse. Any information is greatly appreciated.
I'd rather be shooting yankees....

and terrorists.
Jake11
Blue Oval Fanatic
Blue Oval Fanatic

re: bulletproof overdrive trans?

Post by Jake11 »

Sounds like a winner. What do they get for one? I got a T18 in my old
Ford, and it does most all I need it too. Overdrive and granny would be
a great setup.
bleedfordblue

just don't tell everyone that it came out of a dodge...

Post by bleedfordblue »

Im sure I'll catch some heat over that one... Seriously though I'm watching nv4500's go for around 1000 dollars on ebay. Seems that the only reason they ever get pulled out of a truck is if it's wrecked or something like that. It's almost like they're like the T-18 of overdrives. I sure would like to get my hands on one. It's the final piece that I'll need to get rediculously good gas mileage in my 68. Right now I can put a twenty in it and drive to work all week, go home for lunch and back, and do all the running I want to do after work and not need gas until the next week. I reccomend anyone to buy themself an Edelbrock carb and sit down with the manual until they understand it and can tune their carb really well. Oh yeah, I almost forgot to mention.... If you are interested in the trans swap, you will have to find one out of a half ton dodge. Chevy transmissions will not work. Check it out.

http://www.advanceadapters.com/catalog/t44.html
http://www.advanceadapters.com/catalog/048.html

and terrorists.
binder56jd
Blue Oval Guru
Blue Oval Guru

Post by binder56jd »

IMO- anything that boosts mileage regardless of mfg. is a good thing-go for it-jd
"Sell crazy someplace else. We're all stocked up here" — Jack Nicholson, As Good As it Gets

now serving #235

"the only way to believe in the American dream is to be asleep"--GC

How much easier it is to be critical than to be correct. - Benjamin Disraeli
Jake11
Blue Oval Fanatic
Blue Oval Fanatic

Post by Jake11 »

You sound like a tranny guy. "T18 of Overdrives" The T18 is bulletproof.
On the NV 4500 I don't know why in the world they would put a synchro on reverse gear. That would be asking for trouble. Unless it had a lockout.
I have read of this tranny in the 4x4 mag's. They say it's ok. Kinda pricey
For the 2,000 or more they start out at plus cutting the driveline and
the floor and the clutch and whatever!!! You could put a overdrive in for
less and be able to split shift. That would be more fun too!
bleedfordblue

Post by bleedfordblue »

Okay I haven't heard from anyone in a while... Has anyone done this swap yet? I read a post made by greasemonkey a while back, he was talking about doing the same thing. Are you there greasemonkey?

and terrorists.
FORDification
Site & Forum Admin
Site & Forum Admin

Post by FORDification »

I've been researching this out over the past month or so myself, and am convinced that this is what I'm going to do....someday, when I've got a little extra cash to drop on the project. I've seen those trannies in good used condition for $800-$900.

I was contacted a few weeks ago by someone who's installing an NV4500 into a 4WD and asked if I'd be interested in posting a writeup on it, I said absolutely....but I haven't heard back from him.
____| \__
-O-----O- Keith
'67 F-100 2WD SWB ~ '69 F-100 4WD SWB w/7" chop ~ 1975 F-250 Ranger XLT Supercab Camper Special
ImageImageImage
My '67 restoration video
-> Posting and you! <-a MUST watch for all!!
xxxtina63
Preferred User
Preferred User

Post by xxxtina63 »

Option #2

Keep your T-18 trans and install a built Dana 20 T-case from a 67-77 bronco. This would allow you to run a Saturn overdrive unit. The overdrive is basically an extra set of gears that install in the PTO of the transfer case. Of course, this only works if you have a 4x4. :wink:
pat67shorty

Post by pat67shorty »

What engine do you have? If you ahve a 300, small block, or 460, I'd look for a ZF and bolt it up.
'67 SWB, 1970 car 390, Edelbrock Streetmaster intake, MSD 6AL, 780 Holley, Hedman headers, 2.5 duals, 3.54 D44 L/S, C6.
Jake11
Blue Oval Fanatic
Blue Oval Fanatic

Post by Jake11 »

Don't do it. ZF's are nothing but trouble. The aluminum case pounds
out where the input bearing rides. Then it starts jumping out of gears.
Where I used to work, we had a fleet of SD wreckers. They all had ZF's
and were all down cause of it at times. The parts are pricey too.
bleedfordblue

Post by bleedfordblue »

It sounds like the nv4500 is the way to go then,......

hmmmm, now I just need to turn one up.

and terrorists.
Sharps-Nut

Brother in law made the swap

Post by Sharps-Nut »

My brother in law did a overdrive late model dodge trans swap in a 79 bronco for the milage gain. He bought some adapters and made some himself. The guy is a fabricating guru and the end result showed that. His gains were not real high in the mpg department but 79 bronco's with 351 m motors are gas hog deluxes. I drove the final set up once, s-l-i-c-k. If I had the jack I'd do it in a flash. His reason for using that trans had to do with that it was still being used with the 205 trans fer case, I think. Slick deal anyway you figure.
bleedfordblue

Post by bleedfordblue »

drove nice, did it?

and terrorists.
Sharps-Nut

Post by Sharps-Nut »

Sorry been out awhile, life threw a little curve ball. Yes very slick set up. I only see the truck a couple times a year but would be happy to photograph. He modified the transfer case shifter and used all the factory dodge shifter boots. It was a super clean install looked factory drove wonderful, and the cute part was when that old engine was starting to tach up you just caught one more gear. Having a 79 bronco I was green as could be. Would love to make the mode to mine but he ended up about 1500. lighter in the yen before he was all done. But that deep first would sure be nice out on the colorado trails, compared to my c-6 that is.
bleedfordblue

Post by bleedfordblue »

1500 does semm like a lot, but that isn't much when you drive it a lot on the highway. probably pays for itself pretty quickly, not to mention making the truck more enjoyable to own and drive. I think it would be super cool to pull out somewhere and shift up four times in front of someone who is paing attention.

and terrorists.