Changing Defrost Vents?

Inside the cab...appearance, repair, upgrades

Moderator: FORDification

Farmall

Changing Defrost Vents?

Post by Farmall »

Loooong time since I've been here.
My question is, has anyone ever changed or modified the defrost vents on the dash?
My existing dash is in horrible condition (with an LMC cover that warped all over) and I figured I couldn't do any more damage to it.
So, I am looking into cutting and installing a longer vent to help get the air across the windshield.
I figure I can repair the foam and recover the dash.
Any ideas?
Sometimes the mind, for reasons we don't necessarily understand, just decides to go to the store for a quart of milk.
My Truck
jzjames
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Re: Changing Defrost Vents?

Post by jzjames »

Is something blocking the 2 vents? I havent seen defroster vents much better than the ones on our trucks. :hmm:
Maybe source a better stock dashpad?
Is the LMC cover distorting the airflow?
basketcase0302
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by basketcase0302 »

"Farmall"]Loooong time since I've been here.
My question is, has anyone ever changed or modified the defrost vents on the dash?
My existing dash is in horrible condition (with an LMC cover that warped all over) and I figured I couldn't do any more damage to it.
So, I am looking into cutting and installing a longer vent to help get the air across the windshield.
I figure I can repair the foam and recover the dash.
Any ideas?
Yes it has been done!

I've seen two different guys here over the years "graft", (because it requires cutting into the metal portion of the dash) dent era 73-79 defroster ducting (like pictured below) into the dash assembly. I can never get the search engine here to work anymore, (most folks say google finds Fordification searches but it never seems to work for me) as you'll find topics on the conversion. The bump era defroster vents were poor in design to start with as far as I'm concerned. but keep in mind you can help the defrost tremendously by upgrading to the dent era blower motor assembly, (which requires a lot...less modification to increase the airflow. :wink:

Jeff
http://www.fordification.com/forum/view ... 22&t=46251
SOLD-71 F-350 dually flatbed, 302 / .030 over V-8 with a "baby"C-6, B & M truckshifter, Dana70/4.11 ratio, intermittent wipers, tilt steering, full LED lighting on the flat bed, and no stereo yet (this way I can hear the rattles to diagnose)! SOLD!
Many Ford bumps / one 76' EB / and several dents through the years.
A lot of "oddball" Ford parts collected from working on them for 34 years now!
2008 Ford Escape 4 x 4
Farmall

Post by Farmall »

Yes, the LMC cover is part of the problem.
I have had several pre 80's Fords and the small vents don't spread the air like a wider vent.
I have never heard of upgrading the motor.
How is it better?
Thanks
Sometimes the mind, for reasons we don't necessarily understand, just decides to go to the store for a quart of milk.
My Truck
jzjames
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by jzjames »

You have the 2-speed blower motor, right? Low and high.
sargentrs
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by sargentrs »

Farmall wrote: I have never heard of upgrading the motor.
How is it better?
Thanks
You swap the motor from an 80s Jeep Wagoneer and the squirrel cage from a Granada. The motor is faster and the squirrel cage is bigger. This combination increases air flow quite a lot.
http://www.fordification.com/forum/view ... hp?t=73960

I also plan to use the existing defrost vents but cutting a hole in them and installing A/C vents from a 2000s F150. A little larger and they can be rotated and tilted to direct the air flow. Like the ones below. Going to use larger diameter vinyl flex hoses used in the woodworking dusct collecton systems. Like this https://www.rockler.com/power-tools/dus ... 252F2$2522
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Randy
1970 F100 Sport Custom Limited LWB, 302cid, 3 on the tree. NO A/C, NO P/S, NO P/B. Currently in 1000 pcs while rebuilding. Project thread: http://www.fordification.com/forum/view ... 22&t=59995 Plan: 351w, C4, LSD, pwr front disc, p/s, a/c, bucket seats, new interior and paint.
1987 F-150 XLT Lariat, 5.0/C6 auto.
Farmall

Post by Farmall »

It is a three speed fan.
My Truck
jzjames
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by jzjames »

I’d be looking at the dash cover or some kind of leaks or blockage in the underdash hose ducts and flaps.

The defroster on my ‘67, (2-speed motor), blows hard and hot and clears the windshield quickly. And that is with the flaps that have lost their little gasket seals.