mx cruiso won’t shift out of 1st

Clutch, transmission, rear axle

Moderators: FORDification, 70_F100

rhyne

mx cruiso won’t shift out of 1st

Post by rhyne »

i’m in the dark on this transmission. i’ve scoured the web to no end. long story short, i put in a shift kit, but now when in drive it won’t shift out of 1st. manually i have 2nd. starting in 2nd, then shifting to drive, it goes back to 1st. i’ve replaced modulator, cleaned governor, fresh fluid, proper level. would rear band too tight cause this? i remember adjusting this by the shift kit install, but not even sure if this would be a problem if too tight. anyone have any ideas?
Nitekruizer
Blue Oval Fan
Blue Oval Fan

Re: mx cruiso won’t shift out of 1st

Post by Nitekruizer »

So it shifted before you put the kit in? This is an MX and not an FMX?
390 FE IN A "BUMP" / 383 WEDGE IN A 2 DOOR C-BODY / 351W IN A FULL-SIZE MERCURY / 194 CHEVY 6 IN A DUECE / 2.4 DOHC CHRYSLER IN A PLASTIC BUBBLE (Driver)
rhyne

Post by rhyne »

yes it’s the mx. all good before. i’m going to pull valve body out and go through it again. haven’t been able to find a diagram to make sure everything is in place and that i didn’t lose any balls. i was very diligent about making sure everything was correct and left as i found it but who knows?
mmerlinn

Post by mmerlinn »

rhyne wrote:i’m in the dark on this transmission. i’ve scoured the web to no end. long story short, i put in a shift kit, but now when in drive it won’t shift out of 1st. manually i have 2nd. starting in 2nd, then shifting to drive, it goes back to 1st. i’ve replaced modulator, cleaned governor, fresh fluid, proper level. would rear band too tight cause this? i remember adjusting this by the shift kit install, but not even sure if this would be a problem if too tight. anyone have any ideas?
Exactly what year is your transmission?
mmerlinn (http://mmerlinn.com/catalog/makeridx.htm)

"People who are careless and sloppy writers are usually also careless and sloppy at thinking. Answering questions for careless and sloppy thinkers is not rewarding." - Eric Steven Raymond
rhyne

Post by rhyne »

hey there, it’s a ‘67. i had to drop pan to change out the shift arm(long story as to why). so while there i pulled out the valve body and guess what i found...
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
mmerlinn

Post by mmerlinn »

rhyne wrote:hey there, it’s a ‘67. i had to drop pan to change out the shift arm(long story as to why). so while there i pulled out the valve body and guess what i found...
That is a one-year ONLY valve body and the last year the MX was made. Typically, core valve bodies for 1967 MX transmissions run in the $300 range.
mmerlinn (http://mmerlinn.com/catalog/makeridx.htm)

"People who are careless and sloppy writers are usually also careless and sloppy at thinking. Answering questions for careless and sloppy thinkers is not rewarding." - Eric Steven Raymond
rhyne

Post by rhyne »

fortunately all the issue seems to have been is a screw backed out of that plate holding kickdown valve and one that controls pressure to governor i think it is. not sure how it worked out but all together now and seems ok so far.