brakes and steering

Suspension, steering, brakes, wheels & tires

Moderator: FORDification

Cyretired

brakes and steering

Post by Cyretired »

My 1972 f250 sport custom lb 390 cid (6.4 liter) brakes are kind of hard to stop. It does stop just fine but it's just takes a bit more pressure than I think it should need for a power assist. I checked the rear disc and drums they look fine with plenty of lining. Also one time the brake pedal didn't return all the way (someone told me my brake lights were on while parked). This model year doesn't use a spring return and I don't think it's a vacuum leak, at least I can't find one.
Also I had the steering box rebuild because it was leaking badly. They changed all the hoses as well. The problem is it's kind of hard to steer at a stop but it steers okay at speed (but a manual does that). Steering at a stop or low speed it feels like manual steering. I did have the rag joint replaced and I put a new steering wheel on it when I bought it. The steering wheel is a little smaller than the original which in my opinion should not make much difference for power steering. I plan to change the column with a tilt one next year.
Any suggestions? Thanks.
390FE1972
Blue Oval Fan
Blue Oval Fan

Re: brakes and steering

Post by 390FE1972 »

Have you had a chance to look through this STICKY for troubleshooting brake issues? It has some excellent information in it.
https://www.fordification.com/forum/vie ... =5&t=46025

Hope this helps! :thup:
1972 F250 Sports Custom 390 FE C6 2WD Dana 60 4:10 gears