Wiring a light for aux gauge

Charging, starting, lighting, gauges, HVAC

Moderators: FORDification, Thunderfoot

qmcdugan

Wiring a light for aux gauge

Post by qmcdugan »

70 F100 with stock fuse box . I have a lighted Vacuum gauge that works, as does the light. The vacuum line will have to be figured out as to where it goes on the Eldelbrock 1405 carb. One of two places I'm guessing, but that's not the question.

It's where best to get juice for the light, so it's not on until I pull the light switch. There's a BLK and a RED wire that came with the new lamp and socket I bought. Tested it on the battery. SWEET !

Years ago I pulled the nasty padded dash cover off and reattached to the vent louvers. There's a perfect slotted hole to run the lines through and down to the fuse box and the vac line out the firewall. I've got double sided rubber tape to anchor the gauge housing to the dash, where I can see it. It should be a pretty clean looking install. So far the only gauge that works is the fuel gauge, but that's another project, for another time.

1. Disconnect the Battery... after that.. ah scratch head :hmm:
70 F-100 Sport Custom, 84 Camaro SportCoupe
sargentrs
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Re: Wiring a light for aux gauge

Post by sargentrs »

http://www.fordification.com/tech/wirin ... ghts01.jpg
From the light switch wire #984A or #285, from the dimmer switch wire #34. For the vacuum line it's preferable to operate from intake manifold vacuum. See if you have a port off of the intake you can tee into.
Randy
1970 F100 Sport Custom Limited LWB, 302cid, 3 on the tree. NO A/C, NO P/S, NO P/B. Currently in 1000 pcs while rebuilding. Project thread: http://www.fordification.com/forum/view ... 22&t=59995 Plan: 351w, C4, LSD, pwr front disc, p/s, a/c, bucket seats, new interior and paint.
1987 F-150 XLT Lariat, 5.0/C6 auto.
qmcdugan

Post by qmcdugan »

Thanks I'll track down your recommendation and see if I can tie into it with the RED / hot lead and then that BLK wire will have to have a proper end and a good clean place to ground. As to the Vacuum line connection. Turns out that the intake manifold vacuum is the lower one. I attempted to include a pic, but don't know how to add one. I tried.

However this weekend will be spent chasing down an answer as to where my brake fluid is going. Tonight coming home from work the brake pedal just went right to the floor... Ohhhh this is fun. Limped it home 4 miles using the parking brake as needed. Reservoir was empty !!! New master cylinder installed this last July. Not happy
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Ranchero50

Post by Ranchero50 »

Usually you can find a blue and red stripe wired bullet connector multiplug behind the ashtray that is for the lighting circuit. Easiest thing in the world to add a male and female connector jumper wire with an extra lead for your gauge lamp. Just unplug the radio lamp lead and plug the jumper in between.
'70 F-350 CS Cummins 6BT 10klb truck 64k mile Bahama Blue

Contact me for CNC Dome Lamp Bezels and Ash Tray pulls.
qmcdugan

Post by qmcdugan »

I'll look! Since I've no Radio, it ought to be real simple... Well for some LOL :lol: You mentioned cab light bezel. I've got a working light body and socket but no lens, or no bezel with white lens. LMC has one, but because of shipping I've held off till I can afford to get a larger order put together.
390FE1972
Blue Oval Fan
Blue Oval Fan

Post by 390FE1972 »

I recommend that when you go to buy your dome light bezel with lens, that you buy it from Ranchero50. The original Ford dome light bezels with lens are made out of cheap plastic that are spray painted chrome. The dome light bezels with lens that Ranchero50 makes are milled aluminum. I bought one of the re-pops from Mac's or Dennis Carpenter, and they are like the originals, but milled aluminum is the way to go in my opinion. Attached is Ranchero50's product, the pictures for some reason are coming out blurry.

Regards :thup:

http://fordification.com/forum/viewtopi ... 11&t=34084
http://fordification.com/forum/viewtopi ... =6&t=25709
1972 F250 Sports Custom 390 FE C6 2WD Dana 60 4:10 gears