Speedometer Gear

Clutch, transmission, rear axle

Moderators: FORDification, 70_F100

doorguy

Speedometer Gear

Post by doorguy »

Hello,

New member here. I'm looking for an all steel 18 tooth driven speedometer gear for a Dana 24 transfer case that's attached to a 1966 Ford F-250.
I know there are several different configurations of speedometer gears out there; can anyone tell me whether a Dana 18, 20 or 21 would be the
same? and if they are the same it would need to be an 18 tooth. I've looked on summit and they show a picture of one like I have but its only a 15
tooth.
Also is there a conversion kit made allowing me to switch to plastic gears (drive & driven). This would be a last resort. See attached photos of the spedometer gear and truck.

Any help locating this part would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Doorguy
sargentrs
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Re: Speedometer Gear

Post by sargentrs »

I might be able to help you with this. I have an MPC and there are literally hundreds of possibilities. In order to properly identify the correct gear some more information will be required.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Randy
1970 F100 Sport Custom Limited LWB, 302cid, 3 on the tree. NO A/C, NO P/S, NO P/B. Currently in 1000 pcs while rebuilding. Project thread: http://www.fordification.com/forum/view ... 22&t=59995 Plan: 351w, C4, LSD, pwr front disc, p/s, a/c, bucket seats, new interior and paint.
1987 F-150 XLT Lariat, 5.0/C6 auto.
mmerlinn

Re: Speedometer Gear

Post by mmerlinn »

If you have a steel gear, there should be a number stamped on it.

To identify plastic gears shape & tooth count (stamped on the plastic gear) are needed. Color also helps, BUT IS NOT FOOLPROOF.
mmerlinn (http://mmerlinn.com/catalog/makeridx.htm)

"People who are careless and sloppy writers are usually also careless and sloppy at thinking. Answering questions for careless and sloppy thinkers is not rewarding." - Eric Steven Raymond