The Bandits 72

Post progress reports on your project truck(s)

Moderator: FORDification

Ohiotinkerer
Blue Oval Fanatic
Blue Oval Fanatic

Re: The Bandits 72

Post by Ohiotinkerer »

The Bandit wrote:
Ohiotinkerer wrote:Great thread you have going here - I've got the CV front for mine and your photos are gonna be a great help!....... :thup:........as far as the 4 bolts thru the frame that holds the suspension on a Milwaukee M18 Fuel 1/2 impact makes very quick work of them......even the 17 year old salt soaked one's that were in mine..... :evil:

I really don't know what was up with these but we had a 3/4in drive air impact on them and only managed to break a couple sockets and extensions and not cheap ones either they were all snap on or Mac tools. :hmm:
Hopefully when you get to yours I'll have finished mine and you can check back on my build if you need to know something about it.

:-? ......it m really surprised with you being in NC........that's usually what happens up here in road salt country.......and I've already picked up a few things from your pics......was just getting ready to ask if you were gonna box the frame...... :thup:
"Life is a garden - dig it"........... :thup:

1968 F100 2wd - Rangoon Red - 360 w/T18 - power steering and brakes
1997 Honda CBR 900RR
The Bandit

Post by The Bandit »

:-? ......it m really surprised with you being in NC........that's usually what happens up here in road salt country.......and I've already picked up a few things from your pics......was just getting ready to ask if you were gonna box the frame...... :thup:

I suspect that my donor car came from a more northern area due to the amount of body rust the car had under it. One of the floor pans on the passenger side was completely rotted out! :eek: But then I look at all the fuel and brake lines and all the other components and they aren't bad at all. Matter of fact we even saved all the lines going to the back in case I need a fitting off of them or something.

As far as boxing in the frame, We decided to go from where the sway bar bolts up all the way back to the front edge of the front cab mounts just to add a little more support to the frame. Others have not done it to that extent they usually just box around the tubes in the chassis and that's it.
Last edited by DuckRyder on Tue Jan 14, 2020 6:37 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Fixed Quote
"Don't believe everything you see and read on the internet." Abe Lincoln
1972 F100 custom SWB 302/C4 Auto PS No AC Wimbledon white and rusty..
The Bandit

Post by The Bandit »

Haven't had a lot of chances to work on the frame lately but I'm back on the case now. I was able to get the frame boxed in like I wanted and fully welded in an smoothed over. I'm going to get the rear of the frame weighted down hopefully tomorrow so I know about where I will need to notch the frame for clearance for the rear end.
I'm going to tackle getting the wire harness out of the donor at some point hopefully this week so I can get it thinned down to only the necessities and get it boxed away for use later on.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
sargentrs
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by sargentrs »

Great work!
Randy
1970 F100 Sport Custom Limited LWB, 302cid, 3 on the tree. NO A/C, NO P/S, NO P/B. Currently in 1000 pcs while rebuilding. Project thread: http://www.fordification.com/forum/view ... 22&t=59995 Plan: 351w, C4, LSD, pwr front disc, p/s, a/c, bucket seats, new interior and paint.
1987 F-150 XLT Lariat, 5.0/C6 auto.
The Bandit

Post by The Bandit »

Got back out to the race shop today and had to do a little maintenance on some things around there while I still had some day light left but was able to finally get to work some on the frame. I had ordered the c-notch kit from somewhere out in cali and they messed up and sent me two rightsides and no leftside so I only got to work on the one side. I measured and got the frame cut and was able to get the cnotch clamped in place then ended up have a welder issue so didn't get to burn it in just yet.
Spent the next couple of hours working on the welder and practicing using it to get some what better at it.

Oh well tomorrow is a new day to get things done.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Ohiotinkerer
Blue Oval Fanatic
Blue Oval Fanatic

Post by Ohiotinkerer »

Nice job on boxing the frame! Not sure I'm gonna go that far with mine.....have to wait and see..... :D

Wish my rear end was gonna be that easy..... :eek:

1997 Honda CBR 900RR
The Bandit

Post by The Bandit »

Ohiotinkerer wrote:Nice job on boxing the frame! Not sure I'm gonna go that far with mine.....have to wait and see..... :D

Thanks!
I think you said you had an IRS to put in to yours, if so that's going to be cool for sure.
The Bandit

Post by The Bandit »

Well we suffered a little set back last week with the C notching of the frame. The place that i ordered the brackets from messed up and sent me two right side brackets instead of one of each. I did get in touch with them last week and they insured me I would have the left one in two days so I waited...
Ok three days later and still no bracket or confirmation that it's shipped so that's enough waiting for me let's see what i can do about it.
So after looking at it for a few minutes i realized that it wouldn't be to hard to modify it and make it a left side bracket so that's what i did but I fail to take any pictures of it so you guys will just have to take my word for it... :D
Anyway I got both of them welded in and smoothed over and am happy how they turned out.
The Bandit

Post by The Bandit »

The next BIG thing I need to get started on is going to be the wiring. I've worked for the last two or three days on getting all the wiring out of the donor car that's going to be needed for the truck and now it's time to start dissecting it and removing what wires won't be needed.
I plan on plugging everything back together and laying it all out under the frame with all ends approximately where they will be in the truck and going from there. hen I have all that completed I'm thinking I will hook it all back up to the motor sitting in the frame and see if it will start up.
That's the plan anyway..
Ohiotinkerer
Blue Oval Fanatic
Blue Oval Fanatic

Post by Ohiotinkerer »

The Bandit wrote:
Ohiotinkerer wrote:Nice job on boxing the frame! Not sure I'm gonna go that far with mine.....have to wait and see..... :D

Thanks!
I think you said you had an IRS to put in to yours, if so that's going to be cool for sure.

Cool for sure but lots more work........I want "sports car" handling in my bump..... :lol: :lol: :lol:

I'm definitely not getting into all the wiring you're doing..........your a way better person than me to sort all that out....scares me just looking at the photo of it........ :eek:

1997 Honda CBR 900RR
The Bandit

Post by The Bandit »

Got some work done yesterday with the wiring for the truck and kind of realized just how much of a task this is going to be. I was smart enough to label all the connectors so I knew what was what when I get started on thinning it out that's what all the blue tape is you see on it.
I raised the frame up and out of the way and laid out the wiring on the floor under the frame the same way it came out of the donor car.
I had my Dad helping me and we managed to get most of the wire covering off of it in a couple of hours.
Tomorrow I'll get started removing the wiring that I know for sure I don't need from the harness and then take a look at the rest of the wiring to see if I can thin it down anymore.
I'm planning on keeping things like the ABS and the steering assist that these crown vics came with but things like the speaker wiring or wiring for the airbags and seat belts all the door wiring and wiring for all the lights can go.
We will see how it goes tomorrow.
JIMO2

Post by JIMO2 »

Nice project. Lots of spaghetti there. Keep up the great work. If and when I ever decide to change out my engine, I may or may not go EFI. I tend to prefer old school. I am hitting my uncle up for his 5.8 in a 94 bronco but I do have a 5.0 HO.
Jim
Jim

"I love it when a plan comes together"
The Bandit

Post by The Bandit »

I haven't had a whole lot of time this week to work on anything as far as the truck goes but I did manage to get my hands on what going to be a very useful tool to me with all the wiring and any trouble shooting that may need to be done later on.
This is the very tool Ford dealerships use when looking up parts or wiring diagrams or where that location of a connector or something is at on or in a car.
It even covers all the police package wiring that's in the car not that I'm using any of that wiring for anything.
The Bandit

Post by The Bandit »

Small update for you guys, I still haven't had a lot of time to work on thinning the wiring harness out but I have picked up the pace on it since acquiring the ford service program that I spoke of before. I'm almost ready to set the motor back in place and reconnect all the wiring back up to see if it will even turn the motor over or did I take out the wrong things...
Anyway heres a pic of the wiring that has been remove from the harness.
sargentrs
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by sargentrs »

That's a lot of excess wiring! If you take the time to strip and recycle it you can probably get your money back on the troubleshooting DVD. :lol:
Randy
1970 F100 Sport Custom Limited LWB, 302cid, 3 on the tree. NO A/C, NO P/S, NO P/B. Currently in 1000 pcs while rebuilding. Project thread: http://www.fordification.com/forum/view ... 22&t=59995 Plan: 351w, C4, LSD, pwr front disc, p/s, a/c, bucket seats, new interior and paint.
1987 F-150 XLT Lariat, 5.0/C6 auto.