1967 F250 w/ 302, 4 Spd. "F" Syn. Warner, and Dana #60

Post progress reports on your project truck(s)

Moderator: FORDification

OneLeggedBiker

1967 F250 w/ 302, 4 Spd. "F" Syn. Warner, and Dana #60

Post by OneLeggedBiker »

So, being the new guy and a motorcycle guy on top of that, this will be my first truck build. My '67 F250 is intended to be a daily driver/shop truck to pick up, drop off, and do parts runs. Since I'm turning this into a daily driver and I live in Ohio... the winter project is to pull the front clip, cab, and bed so I can paint the frame, recondition axles and brakes, and run new brake lines.

I made a game plan using some Excel templates I found. I 'm hoping it helps to get it all done and keep track of information, part #'s, cast #'s, etc. Would you guys add anything to this as a stating point? The goal is to complete the task at hand and then I can bite off the upper cosmetic stuff while driving it.

I got 2 books on 302 motors, rebuilds, etc. and my factory shop manuals for everything else.

In regards to pulling the front clip, can this be done with the motor still in the engine compartment? Or should I pull the motor and then do the front clip? I'm guessing that the front clip should go first but that's just me assuming.

So far it's looking something like this...
Dru Furan
A one legged biker always wandering in an attempt to become lost... a rambler. One of the the last true pursuers of our unalienable rights.

1967 F250 2wd - Cast Stamp '72 302, Dana #60, 4 on the floor
The Bandit

Re: 1967 F250 w/ 302, 4 Spd. "F" Syn. Warner, and Dana #60

Post by The Bandit »

Yes it can for sure! The two radiator support bolts through the frame up front three pass through bolts for the inner fenders by the hood hinges on both sides a hidden bolt in the door jam on both sides one on each side of the bottom of the fender at the door and a couple screws holding the inner fender to the firewall (look in the wheel wells and whatever electrical that needs to come loose should just about do it.
Oh and remove the front bumper as it helps when sliding the from off.
"Don't believe everything you see and read on the internet." Abe Lincoln
1972 F100 custom SWB 302/C4 Auto PS No AC Wimbledon white and rusty..
sargentrs
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by sargentrs »

Looks like a good plan! Looking forward to following your project! 8)
Randy
1970 F100 Sport Custom Limited LWB, 302cid, 3 on the tree. NO A/C, NO P/S, NO P/B. Currently in 1000 pcs while rebuilding. Project thread: http://www.fordification.com/forum/view ... 22&t=59995 Plan: 351w, C4, LSD, pwr front disc, p/s, a/c, bucket seats, new interior and paint.
1987 F-150 XLT Lariat, 5.0/C6 auto.
sargentrs
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by sargentrs »

One thing I might add. When you're bagging and tagging your hardware it's a good idea to put a note inside the bag instead of just writing on the outside. If it's an extended period of time getting back to installing it, the writing on the outside of the bag can get smudged or totally unreadable from handling. I've struggled with that myself. Very neatly organized and labeled going into the tub, weeks (years) later, can no longer read the labeling on the outside of the bags. :hmm:
Randy
1970 F100 Sport Custom Limited LWB, 302cid, 3 on the tree. NO A/C, NO P/S, NO P/B. Currently in 1000 pcs while rebuilding. Project thread: http://www.fordification.com/forum/view ... 22&t=59995 Plan: 351w, C4, LSD, pwr front disc, p/s, a/c, bucket seats, new interior and paint.
OneLeggedBiker

Post by OneLeggedBiker »

sargentrs wrote:One thing I might add. When you're bagging and tagging your hardware it's a good idea to put a note inside the bag instead of just writing on the outside. If it's an extended period of time getting back to installing it, the writing on the outside of the bag can get smudged or totally unreadable from handling. I've struggled with that myself. Very neatly organized and labeled going into the tub, weeks (years) later, can no longer read the labeling on the outside of the bags. :hmm:

Thanks for the tip @sargentrs, it's funny you mentioned this because I had already planned on using note cards in my bagging and tagging. It allows me space to diagram, make notes, etc. I loaded up my camera on a tripod today to document things, got my totes out to the shop, and have been reading over my shop manuals. And, so my adventure begins.
Dru Furan
A one legged biker always wandering in an attempt to become lost... a rambler. One of the the last true pursuers of our unalienable rights.

OneLeggedBiker

Post by OneLeggedBiker »

Well, disassembly is going well. The bagging, tagging, and shooting DSLR pics as a go is time consuming. But, I'm almost to the frame and bottom half. I haven't rushed anything to make sure I have proper information, tools, and stick to my plan. And, luckily for my wife I have yet to bring a truck part in the house. :woohoo:

The motor and transmission are out. I drained the T18, filled it back up, and then sealed it up. I turn it over when I go out to the shop on a daily basis and hope to not have it out for an extended period of time. So, now I'm disassembling my motor so I can take it to the machine shop. It's not horrible but it shows it's age. The plugs looked decent, old, but they all looked very similar in color. Image

The rocker arms and push rods showed signs of sitting for awhile and some carbon from the previous original owner plugging all the vacuum lines. In fact one side of the carb riser was a complete block of carbon. I'm struggling right now to get the intake manifold separated from the block. :? So, if anyone has tips there I greatly appreciate it. Image Image

I've also been multi-tasking and went ahead and dove into the cab interior so I could get eyes on those known trouble spots. All in all, it's still lookign like a solid find. The worse spot I've found so far is the inner lower fresh air vent cowl shoulder. And, the issue is even minimal compared to some that I've seen. Also, any tips on this repair would be greatly appreciated. I was just going to hand form a new corner using what's remaining and the opposite side as a template. Or seeing if the Ford metal guy will cut one out for me if it's resonable in cost. Only the driver side has been effected. And, that was due to a mouse nest in the door pillar drain.
Image Image
Image Image

So, although it's a slower process than I'm used to with the picture taking and bagging and tagging everything the project is progressing. And, I need shop space back so there's no stopping me now. The current goal is to have the bottom half (frame, axles, brakes, bottom side bushings, etc.) refurbished and painted by the end of March or so I can start putting it back together to drive. I'm sure I'll be happy then that I took the time to note driver sizes, bolt locations, and any noteworthy aspects or concerns.

More to come as I continue with the task at hand. And, again thank you for anyone that has provided tips, information, and guidance.
Dru Furan

sargentrs
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by sargentrs »

Great progress! You're a lot more organized than I was. :lol:
Randy
yellercat

Post by yellercat »

Looks really good OLB! Also like your organization. Will be working on my own 69' 3/4 ton with the Dana 60 and a 390 so following your progress with interest.
Go for it !
1970 F100 302 C-4 factory air
OneLeggedBiker

Post by OneLeggedBiker »

sargentrs wrote:Great progress! You're a lot more organized than I was. :lol:
Well we know hindsight is always 20/20. But I'm always for multiple backups and at least some sort of plan B and plan C if needed. And, after your comment about pen/marker wearing off of bags I kinda went into overkill organizational mode. Plus, I need to be as efficient as possible. I got my first few bikes of the year coming into the shop this week. :no: :yes:

I scored some good heavy duty plastic Plano storage containers from Menards in multiple sizes and the option of using a rubber gasket in the lid... I left with a dozen totes for under $95, even less if you hit it up on their usual 11% rebate hustle. :thup:

So, everything is bagged, carded, photographed, then stored in groups of relative install/reassembly order with the wrench or driver size needed for the hardware. And, each finished storage piece then also carries an "overall" what's in this card taped to it. My past career as an audio engineer for national touring bands is the reason I did it this way. It's easy for me to think about what ever came out first now goes on last. Here's a small ammo style tote turned into my "hardware catalog". Here's a photo of one of the larger totes thru the process as well.

Then, I always have small scratch pad in my front overall pocket as well as a larger notebook and binder for the build. I found a cool Excel spreadsheet from a custom hotrod/resto shop called V8 Speed and Resto out of IL. I did alter it for my needs. And, plan to alter it again for bike builds. I like the that it allows for part #'s, price, and source of part, as well as the notes for each piece/part. Here's a link to their download of the planner...http://v8speedshop.com/index.php/free-r ... r-download

Thanks y'all! Now it's time to get back at it!
Dru Furan

sargentrs
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by sargentrs »

Great detail! :thup:
Randy
hfdco4
Blue Oval Guru
Blue Oval Guru

Post by hfdco4 »

Great setup, that will help with your progress.
Paul
:fr: FE390PC
1970 F250 4x4
2016 F150 4x4 2.7 ECO
Gone 1997, 1999 & 2003 F150 4x4s
Gone 1988, 1989 & 1991 Broncs
OneLeggedBiker

Post by OneLeggedBiker »

War has been waged and these are my weapons. Little does this truck bed know I'm as stubborn as a mule and have nothing but time. I'm also taking my own advice that I often share with my kids. "Anything actually worth having or doing that is cool (or seems cool), takes a lot of hard work, blood, sweat, tears, and some failures along the way." There's only one winner here and it sure as hell ain't no truck bed liner. 6 bolts to go and I'll be at the frame.

Oh, and to the guy who invented and the ones who sell this crap... ╭∩╮(︶_︶)╭∩╮
Dru Furan

Ohiotinkerer
Blue Oval Fanatic
Blue Oval Fanatic

Post by Ohiotinkerer »

:yt:

Give me a good old fashioned rubber REMOVABLE bed mat any day of the week.......that spray crap is a pain in the rear if you ever have to do any repair work....... :x
"Life is a garden - dig it"........... :thup:

1968 F100 2wd - Rangoon Red - 360 w/T18 - power steering and brakes
1997 Honda CBR 900RR