460 engine

No tech discussion, please

Moderator: FORDification

Zorm
Blue Oval Fan
Blue Oval Fan

460 engine

Post by Zorm »

would a 460 out of a 90's E-350 (fuel injected) be worth swaping into anything? Got an 83 Jeep Cherokee (Grand wagoner size, not the small crappy ones) that I have been building a 351W for. Got an adapter plate for the beefier jeep 5 speed, Nv3550.

May have found a deal on the van, which I don't really need, but was wondering, if I can get a 4x4 tranny / xfr case combo and use the injected 460, this is not a daily driver or really a huge off roader, just thinking, keep the 351w and the set up I have or, go for big?

thanks
1971 F250 Camper Special, family owned since 1972
1983 Cherokee, last of the big ones, bought in Italy, family owned since 1998
1965 Corvair Corsa Convertible, 140 engine, 4 speed.

HE guides my path, forgives me when I stray and lights my life
Twisted_Steel

Re: 460 engine

Post by Twisted_Steel »

As you already know, the 460 gives you gobs of bottom end torque and the fuel injection gives you better mileage/economy. With the right gearing you can pull a house off it's foundation. Sounds like a win/win if that's the route you want to go. All depends on what wild hair you have up in there at that particular moment. :wink:
I have always liked the 429/460 engine class over FE's, just my personal preference... but it's a tough call between that and the Windsor/Cleveland engines.
You definitely have some options either way, but what the hell, go for it!