What's the worst job you ever had?

General Discussion Topic Archives
hutch1973

What's the worst job you ever had?

Post by hutch1973 »

A minor rip off of 460's post :lol: , but reading all the posts about what people did for a living made me start to think about some of the other jobs I've had, and naturally the worst.

Mine was about 13 years back, working my way through school and needing anything 3rd shift to help make rent. I wa hired at a plastics company that did blow molding. The job consisted of standing in front of an injection machine and waiting for the part to come out. Once out, you held it up to the light to look for imperfections, the part I was enslaved to was a wiper washer bottle for the then new Dodge whatever. The machine had an 6 minute cycle, and once you spent the ten seconds looking at the part and setting it on a tray, you had to stand and watch the machine until the cycle was done. The doors closed on the front when it was working, so you couldn't even see what was happening, you just stood there waiting for an odd noise, and they wouldn't let you leave your post.

Two hours into the shift I was given a break, and I walked out the door, got in the truck, and never looked back. :drive: Never even bothered trying to get a paycheck for it.
Bumpless for now...
72hiboy4x4
Blue Oval Fanatic
Blue Oval Fanatic
Location: As far away as I can be from Wa state, without crossing the Mississippi

Post by 72hiboy4x4 »

I used to repair and install septic systems.
New installs were OK, But I refused to go into an old septic tank to find out where it was leaking or repair a line.
Didn't last too long at that job.
In life many men take the path of righteousness, some take the path many others follow (G.M. owners, for example), some take a more arduous path, some a simpler path. I, sir, took the PSYCO-PATH!!
Buzzy

Post by Buzzy »

I was a Door man at a busy night club that part sounds cool but part of the job is cleaning up the bathrooms as the night goes on.

Cleaning up piss and puke all night was realy not as cool as being a bouncer.
owner of
1967 F100 prostreet
1978 Lincoln Mark 5
1995 ford f150
1988 500hp Mazda rx7 convertible
1984 650hp mazda rx7 coupe (added a bigger Turbo)
2003 Mercedes c230 Kompressor
http://www.cardomain.com/id/iambuzzy
http://spaces.msn.com/buzzysweb/
kentdaryl

re: What's the worst job you ever had?

Post by kentdaryl »

I worked as a "hacker" at a brick plant when I was 19. There were 10 of us on an elevated platform next to a conveyor belt that carried the bricks from the molds. Traveling slowly under the platform were small flat rail cars that the bricks were stacked on to get fired. The deck of the rail car was about a foot below the level you stood on, so the first few courses you stacked were below foot level. The guy at the front of the line was expected to work the hardest, the second in line nearly as fast, and so on, finally to the last guy who just got the strays that were missed. Your position on the platform rotated each hour from easy to hard. The smell of diesel from the molds and the dust and heat were awful, along with the sense of dread as you moved towards the front of the line. It was an interesting makeup of guys, some ex-cons, some guys who had few choices, some hard luck cases, and young guys who just needed a job. Needless to say, as soon as I found other work I took it.

P.S. 72highboy4x4, I occasionally enter live sewers. Not fun but better than hacking bricks!
71-F-250SC-72-F-250C

Post by 71-F-250SC-72-F-250C »

I am only on my second job now, but my last job was the crappiest out of the two. I worked at western sizzlen as a dishwasher. The bi%chy waitress's would come and bring dishes to you and you had to wash them, put them in a machine, dry them and then run around the store to put them up. I also had to run the trash that came off the plates that the waitress dumped in the trash can. It was a mixture of soggy food and water, that smelled like puke and weighed as much as I do. I would have to lift it up into the dumpster and throw it in, then get in the dumpster to retreive it. The suckiest part was when the puke smelling food that was scraped off peoples plates got in your mouth. I was the best one there, so they would schedule me to run the dish room by my self. By the time you get done running trash, the dishes are usually piled up. You never have any time for a break if you want to stay caught up.
71 f-250 Sport Custom-frame off in progress..again thank to irjetmachanic. :)
72 f-250 Custom
71 f-100 swb sport custom
03 mach1 mustang
cant forget my thing...haha 74 volkswagon thing.
[quote="ToughOldFord"]
Damn, 7 gallons per mile, obviously FE powered!
Mach428
Blue Oval Fan
Blue Oval Fan

Post by Mach428 »

hmmm worst job I ever had was working as an interviewer for Playboy. Now THAT was difficult work let me tell ya.......
460 crew
Blue Oval Guru
Blue Oval Guru

Post by 460 crew »

Don't think I really had a bad job so far except for trying to be and obedient son for my parents, with a younger brother and sister it was a little trying at times. :evil:
1970 4x4 Crewcab build and 12v cummins conversion
http://www.fordification.com/forum/view ... 22&t=17179
jor
Blue Oval Fan
Blue Oval Fan

Post by jor »

Worst job? I've had many but one is particularly memorable. I was in New Mexico working labor out of a hall. The call came. "Two for the crusher." I remember thinking, "The crusher? That can't be good." Anyhow, off I went. Turned out the job was at a rock crushing plant. My job was to keep the gravel from building up around the gears. It was loud, dusty and REAL DANGEROUS. All the gears were exposed. I had to keep that shovel moving gravel every minute. Anyhow, I needed a stake so I made it three days there, collected my pay and moved on. The very next day, they hired an illegal alien ("wet" was the term back then). His clothing got caught in one of those nasty gears and that damn crusher ate him. Yip. That was my worst.
jor
Joe Kriston
Blue Oval Fan
Blue Oval Fan

Post by Joe Kriston »

Probably working third shift at a noodle factory...Friday nights were the worst...I'd come in half-schnockered,while all my friends were still partying,don my hairnet,and armed with a plastic spatula,set out to the all night task of scraping every speck of dried-out macaroni batter from the stainless steel dyes...
This is the point...I'm....talking about everybody! I'm talking about form! I'm talking about content! I'm talking about interrelationships! I'm talking about God, the devil, hell, heaven!!!! Do you understand???? Finally!!!!
wildcard
Blue Oval Guru
Blue Oval Guru

Post by wildcard »

Had to be going ahead of the crews erecting power poles and bolting the cross members and braces on for a for a summer job. They neglected to tell us creosote would burn/blister you. We wore sleeveless shirts. My buddy was light complected and ended up in the hosp. that night. I had plenty of blisters. Never went back for that days pay.
binder56jd
Blue Oval Guru
Blue Oval Guru

Post by binder56jd »

anything involving a shovel-jd
"Sell crazy someplace else. We're all stocked up here" — Jack Nicholson, As Good As it Gets

now serving #235

"the only way to believe in the American dream is to be asleep"--GC

How much easier it is to be critical than to be correct. - Benjamin Disraeli
Redcap
Blue Oval Fanatic
Blue Oval Fanatic

Post by Redcap »

What I'm doing right now. Mobile home repair, mostly consisting of reinsulating and repairing the belly paper, which sucks. But sometimes there are problems with the sewer pipe...like last week on a repair when a setup crew actually missed one of the sewer drops...2 months ago. I got to put on a chem suit and crawl through a mountain of feces to fix it.

However, I got a pretty hefty sum of money for the day and 20 minutes of work cost the set crew $1500. :D
binder56jd
Blue Oval Guru
Blue Oval Guru

Post by binder56jd »

:thup: that stuff will wash off- just don't bite your fingernails :lol: :lol: jd
"Sell crazy someplace else. We're all stocked up here" — Jack Nicholson, As Good As it Gets

now serving #235

"the only way to believe in the American dream is to be asleep"--GC

How much easier it is to be critical than to be correct. - Benjamin Disraeli
Randy Beck

Post by Randy Beck »

When I got out of high school, I was hired by the city of Lexington in the water dept. But they didn't tell my it was at the waste treatment plant! :cuss: I stayed there for 1 year and I had enough of that "crap"
I can say that I have had a ***** job! :lol:
1969 F-100 Ranger
351W/TCI Streetfighter C6-2800 stall coverter
Proline 180 heads
TorkerII intake/780 Holley
Sanderson headers/Flowmaster mufflers
Best 1/8th mile E/T 8.55
Best 1/8th mile MPH 85.024
Faithful Old Road Dog
Preferred User
Preferred User

Post by Faithful Old Road Dog »

The worst job was being a busboy. I felt so much like a servant. The most dangerous job was a pizza delivery driver. I never thought it would be dangerous mostly because I never thought about it before I took the job. I quit before my number was up.