Help please, 79 disc swap to 72

Suspension, steering, brakes, wheels & tires

Moderator: FORDification

KulpFarm

Help please, 79 disc swap to 72

Post by KulpFarm »

Hello,

I recently purchased a complete front suspension from a 1979 f150 for my disc brake conversion in my 1972 f100. I want to refresh it with new bushing, joints, rod ends and new paint. Can’t for the life of me remove the bolt that attaches the radius arm to the I-beam. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!
sargentrs
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Re: Help please, 79 disc swap to 72

Post by sargentrs »

Stuck in position like they're welded together? Do you have them both, together, out of the truck? I feel your pain! Been there, done that. One of mine was like that. I took a ratchet strap from the nut end of the radius arm to the pivot end of the I-beam. Sprayed the radius arm bolt with PB Blaster then cranked the ratchet strap as tight as I could. Left it that way overnight, spraying several times after. Next day ratcheted the strap tighter and hit a meaty part of the I-beam with a 2# dead blow hammer. Tried to move it back and forth and strap again. Took about 2 hrs of this and eventually got it to move enough and tap the bolt out.
Randy
1970 F100 Sport Custom Limited LWB, 302cid, 3 on the tree. NO A/C, NO P/S, NO P/B. Currently in 1000 pcs while rebuilding. Project thread: http://www.fordification.com/forum/view ... 22&t=59995 Plan: 351w, C4, LSD, pwr front disc, p/s, a/c, bucket seats, new interior and paint.
1987 F-150 XLT Lariat, 5.0/C6 auto.
yellercat

Post by yellercat »

Had one like that on the 88' that is in process. It would not articulate. Ended up taking it to a large truck diesel repair shop and let the big guns do it.
Believe it is important for these to be 'free' so that they can articulate. Only then can the suspension perform as it was designed. :thup:
1970 F100 302 C-4 factory air
KulpFarm

Post by KulpFarm »

Thanks for the input. These things are rusted fast. Sprayed some penetrating fluid and I’ll let it soak for a day or so before giving it ago again. If that doesn’t work, off to the recommended shop!