Aux Gas Tank Fuel Selector

Engine, ignition, fuel, cooling, exhaust

Moderators: Ranchero50, DuckRyder

390FE1972
Blue Oval Fan
Blue Oval Fan

Aux Gas Tank Fuel Selector

Post by 390FE1972 »

My original gas tank selector that's found on the floor next to the drivers side seat is stuck in one position, I can't turn it to shut it off or go to the other tank. I was wondering if I put some PB Blaster in it would it mess up the valve selector? Does anyone know if there is any parts inside the tank selector that would be damaged by the PB Blaster? I know I can buy a new selector from LMC or Tom's Bronco, but I would like to fix my original selector if possible. Any help is appreciated. :help:
1972 F250 Sports Custom 390 FE C6 2WD Dana 60 4:10 gears
yellercat

Re: Aux Gas Tank Fuel Selector

Post by yellercat »

Had mine off recently and it seemed pretty hardy. But, before trying the harsh chemical treatment, you might try a pan of hot water. It might dissolve some of the gooey and old fuel residues. Also, instead of the PB I would be tempted to use something like Xylol , would work even better. It will surely dissolve whatever is inside there and likely loosen the mechanism. Beware the fumes and use outside , well ventilated area. :thup:
1970 F100 302 C-4 factory air
390FE1972
Blue Oval Fan
Blue Oval Fan

Post by 390FE1972 »

Thanks yellercat for your response, I will give these a try. I was wondering if anyone knows what is inside the selector? O-rings, plastic? or is it just a metal valve that opens and closes depending on where you turn the switch? Any help is appreciated.

390FE1972
Blue Oval Fan
Blue Oval Fan

Post by 390FE1972 »

yellercat wrote:Had mine off recently and it seemed pretty hardy. But, before trying the harsh chemical treatment, you might try a pan of hot water. It might dissolve some of the gooey and old fuel residues. Also, instead of the PB I would be tempted to use something like Xylol , would work even better. It will surely dissolve whatever is inside there and likely loosen the mechanism. Beware the fumes and use outside , well ventilated area. :thup:
I tried the hot water method, with no results, I didn't have any Xylol, so I tried soaking it in carburetor cleaner. It works great now! So thanks for the suggestions. :woohoo: I thought I would share this for anyone that runs into this same issue in the future.

Regards :thup:
yellercat

Post by yellercat »

Way to go!
There's always a way... :D
1970 F100 302 C-4 factory air