Oil Warning Light to Oil Pressure Gauge conversion

Charging, starting, lighting, gauges, HVAC

Moderators: FORDification, Thunderfoot

wartmeister

Oil Warning Light to Oil Pressure Gauge conversion

Post by wartmeister »

1969 F100 2WD, 3 spd, 240 IL6. Total rebuild completed last summer (2019).

Original had a red oil warning light. During rebuild, I went with a like original oil pressure gauge. Noticed right away that the oil pressure and temperature gauges both read low when manual readings were normal...about a third deflection when you would expect them to be about half way or straight up. The fuel gauge seems to work fine, but it stays at the full position for about 5 gallons. So when the voltmeter failed, I thought I would try to straighten out my temp and oil gauges while I had the instrument cluster removed.
Inst Cluster 5.jpg
I think the voltage regulator can be eliminated as the issue as nothing changed after replacing it twice. However, I am thinking that adding the third gauge might requires a different VR? I am suspecting that when I replaced the oil warning light with a gauge, I didn't quite get the wiring right. As you can see from the photo, I split the VR output three ways...fuel, oil and temp.

Greatly appreciate any help on this.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
sargentrs
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Re: Oil Warning Light to Oil Pressure Gauge conversion

Post by sargentrs »

Take a look at the photos here, about 1/4 down the page.
http://www.fordification.com/tech/67-72ID_01.htm They show the differences in connections/wiring between the lights/gauges. Might give you an idea.
Randy
1970 F100 Sport Custom Limited LWB, 302cid, 3 on the tree. NO A/C, NO P/S, NO P/B. Currently in 1000 pcs while rebuilding. Project thread: http://www.fordification.com/forum/view ... 22&t=59995 Plan: 351w, C4, LSD, pwr front disc, p/s, a/c, bucket seats, new interior and paint.
1987 F-150 XLT Lariat, 5.0/C6 auto.
The Bandit

Post by The Bandit »

I'm sure you did but i'll ask anyway. Did you change the sensor in the block for an oil pressure gauge and not a light?
"Don't believe everything you see and read on the internet." Abe Lincoln
1972 F100 custom SWB 302/C4 Auto PS No AC Wimbledon white and rusty..
390FE1972
Blue Oval Fan
Blue Oval Fan

Post by 390FE1972 »

From these two older threads, it indicates that the wiring harness & alternator harness are different between the trucks with "idiot" lights and gauges, so this may be causing your problem. http://www.fordification.com/forum/view ... =8&t=77891 & http://www.fordification.com/forum/view ... =8&t=80246

Hopes this helps :thup:
1972 F250 Sports Custom 390 FE C6 2WD Dana 60 4:10 gears
wartmeister

Post by wartmeister »

OK. A lot of work since original post.
Bandit: yes I installed a new oil pressure sensor to go with the gauge.
I appreciate the previous threads and instrument cluster wiring pictures.

The wiring harness was all new American Autowire kit...so all the harnesses and wiring were new except I used some of the original wires in the cluster because they had terminals that fit.

Since original post, I installed a new voltage regulator and fuel gauge. Magically, the oil pressure now reads straight up and down. Go figure???

The fuel gauge fluctuates when the car is at idle a bit more than I would like, but i will probably live with it.

The temp gauge also still reads cool. So I am getting an infrared thermometer so I can tell what the actual temp is. Maybe I need to run it a little hotter. We'll see.

Thanks for the assist.