no turn signals...just replaced fuse

Electrical and Wiring Forum Archives
BigRedTruck
Preferred User
Preferred User

no turn signals...just replaced fuse

Post by BigRedTruck »

they dim when i turn them on buy do not blink. the turn lights in the cab do not blink either. this is very bad
69 F-100 2wd 360 cid C6
Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam.

I have a catapult. Give me all the money, or I will fling an enormous rock at your head
FORDification
Site & Forum Admin
Site & Forum Admin

re: no turn signals...just replaced fuse

Post by FORDification »

Well, I'd check the flasher units first...replace them with good ones and try it out. Then start checking bulbs. I once tried to track down a similar problem and even though the bulbs would actually light up, all kinds of funny things was going on. It turned out to be a dual-filament (1157) bulb in which one end of one of the filaments had broken off and laid down over the top of the other filament, creating a short-circuit (more or less). Replaced that bulb and everything was back to normal.
____| \__
-O-----O- Keith
'67 F-100 2WD SWB ~ '69 F-100 4WD SWB w/7" chop ~ 1975 F-250 Ranger XLT Supercab Camper Special
ImageImageImage
My '67 restoration video
-> Posting and you! <-a MUST watch for all!!
bluef250
Blue Oval Fanatic
Blue Oval Fanatic

Post by bluef250 »

Does the emergency flasher work? Do the signals cancel normally?
jor
Blue Oval Fan
Blue Oval Fan

Post by jor »

Also make certain your tail light and parking light bulbs are well seated. Take them out and clean the contacts in the receptacle and on the bulb itself.
jor
BigRedTruck
Preferred User
Preferred User

Post by BigRedTruck »

just replaced the cylider type thing under the dash...now they will not even dim. I replaced both rear lightbulbs last week... flasher units...the cylinder thing? all this happened when i was out driving last night. my book says something about the grounds...not even sure where that is. no emergency flashers and the turn signal cam is gone...
69 F-100 2wd 360 cid C6
Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam.

I have a catapult. Give me all the money, or I will fling an enormous rock at your head
flyboy2610
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by flyboy2610 »

I'm not too good at wiring problems, but I do know that Dennis Carpenter sells the turn signal cam. It's only a few dollars.
bluef250
Blue Oval Fanatic
Blue Oval Fanatic

Post by bluef250 »

If your turn signal cam is gone, probably the turn signal switch has fallen apart. :evil: I tried replacing the cam, but got to do the work all over again in less than a year. So I wasted the dollars on the cam. :$$: Do you have a horn? The horn, brake lights, turn signals, and emergency lights all come through the switch.

New switches can be purchased for about $40. The switch I bought was for ‘68 and ‘69 and other models. If you buy a new switch, first examine the new wire terminals, they are barbed. The barbed ends on the old wires can be removed from connector using a small driver or shim. There are two connectors are under the dash. One for 2 wires - 1) green right, 2) yellow left brake/turn. One has 6 positions, one position is not used.

To actually replace the switch. Mark the location of the steering wheel on the shaft for reassembly and remove wheel, screw out turn signal handle, and remove old switch. After switch is hanging out, work with one wire at a time. Compare wire colors from old to new switch. Unfortunately, the colors may vary. Match wire colors of old to the new wire. Make diagrams if you need to reassemble. Cut one old wire at a time. Attach new to old with tape. Carefully, pull old out, with new attached, through the column. Remove the old wire from connector and immediately install new wire. :roll:

The switch has 7 wires. So you have do it 7 times. Once you have done one, don't hurry like I did. Then I had to use a piece of wire to pull new wires through the column.

One to ground the horn.
One from turn signal flasher.
One from the emergency flasher.
Two for turn front signals.
Two for brakes/rear turn signals.
BigRedTruck
Preferred User
Preferred User

Post by BigRedTruck »

got the horn... but th wiring is a mess... apparently my dad severed all of them so hw would not have to take a lot off the column for some unknown problem to be fixed.........if i only had the time.........finals are coming up...and working all the time......work jeez. i'm not even making enough money to fix the problems as they come up. :( .....fun.... guess i'm sticking to the camry for a while.
69 F-100 2wd 360 cid C6

bluef250
Blue Oval Fanatic
Blue Oval Fanatic

Post by bluef250 »

check eBay for 4509193628 (bid 22.50). :clap: Looks like Ford NOS. Good luck on finals.
BigRedTruck
Preferred User
Preferred User

Post by BigRedTruck »

a strange twist of fate...today the turn signal started working again and i went into a parts store that was not national...they had a signal cam that was supposed to work in all gm/ford trucks from 53 to 79...didn't get it though.
69 F-100 2wd 360 cid C6

bluef250
Blue Oval Fanatic
Blue Oval Fanatic

Post by bluef250 »

The cam needed is for a Ford with emergency flasher. The generic cam will make turn signal cancel work but not some of the other electrical. Tried it once, had to take generic back and get other, which is also more expensive. Sounds like the great spirit of electical bugs has struck again. :P :eek: Just make sure your brake lights work. 8)