Shift Arm Bushings

Suspension, steering, brakes, wheels & tires

Moderator: FORDification

390xlt

Shift Arm Bushings

Post by 390xlt »

How do I get these rubber and brass bushings in the shift arm? I’m assuming the rubber goes in first and then the brass, but I’ve tried everything I can think of, searched the site, searched the internet, and I can’t for the life of me figure out how to install them. Any ideas? Am I missing something obvious?
Thanks
01E6258C-9D79-408B-B510-4308C04437FD.jpeg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
1970 F100 Ranger XLT 390 3 speed
sargentrs
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Re: Shift Arm Bushings

Post by sargentrs »

They are a PITA! Don't even try to put them in with the brass sleeve in them. I used a dab of bearing grease around the inside of the hole in the shift lever. Fold/squeeze the lip around one side and poke it in the hole all the way to the groove bottom if you can. Then use a small flat screwdriver and carefully work your around poking the rest of the lip through the hole a little at a time. It's a good idea to dull the tip of the screwdriver and round the corners of the tip. The fun part comes installing the shift rod clip. The new bushings are harder than the old ans don't compress easily. On the set I got. the brass sleeve was a little too long and stuck out too far past the rubber to get the clip installed in the groove on the shift rod. I had to shave off about 1/32" off the end on my bench grinder. Even then I had to use 2 sets of small vise grips on the sides of the bushing to compress the rubber enough to get the clip on.
Randy
1970 F100 Sport Custom Limited LWB, 302cid, 3 on the tree. NO A/C, NO P/S, NO P/B. Currently in 1000 pcs while rebuilding. Project thread: http://www.fordification.com/forum/view ... 22&t=59995 Plan: 351w, C4, LSD, pwr front disc, p/s, a/c, bucket seats, new interior and paint.
1987 F-150 XLT Lariat, 5.0/C6 auto.
390xlt

Post by 390xlt »

I got one of them in using approximately the same method you described, but it compressed the center so much that the brass wouldn't slide in like it should. I finally got it in using some soap and a bench vise, but now the rubber bulges out on one side. Should I just go ahead and use the vise grip method you mentioned to get the clips installed, or am I missing something? I've also considered using the plastic bushings like the automatics use, but I don't love that idea.
sargentrs
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by sargentrs »

Same thing happened to me. Yes, the vise grips help a lot. You can also file/Dremel out the hole in shift arm a little. 1/32" across the diameter can make a big difference.
Randy
1970 F100 Sport Custom Limited LWB, 302cid, 3 on the tree. NO A/C, NO P/S, NO P/B. Currently in 1000 pcs while rebuilding. Project thread: http://www.fordification.com/forum/view ... 22&t=59995 Plan: 351w, C4, LSD, pwr front disc, p/s, a/c, bucket seats, new interior and paint.
1987 F-150 XLT Lariat, 5.0/C6 auto.
390xlt

Post by 390xlt »

Got creative last night and using a drill and a 1/2" bit as a lathe, turned down one of the bushings. I figured if I screwed up removing material from something, I'd rather it be the bushing than the shift arm. Seemed to work pretty well.
And I'll spare the gory details, but my effort to make the other one fit destroyed the bushing, so now I've got to order another one before I can get the truck back together.
I'm not looking forward to trying to get that clip on, but at least I can start with the vise grips trick instead of fighting it first.
Thanks for the input!
jzjames
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by jzjames »

Dont really know how bad they are youre dealing with, but just want to add, HEAT can really make a difference. Like putting a hair drier on it til it gets QUITE WARM.
Just sayin :D