1968 F500 exterior lights

Charging, starting, lighting, gauges, HVAC

Moderators: FORDification, Thunderfoot

dolinick
Blue Oval Fanatic
Blue Oval Fanatic

1968 F500 exterior lights

Post by dolinick »

I have been working on this old truck that had been parked for maybe 8 years.

I got the engine running pretty good. I got the brakes working a little bit. I put a little air in the tires.
Now I'm thinking about getting all the lights working just in case I am able to go driving around in
it soon. I did drive it 1.5 miles down to 7-11 just to put air in the tires. I only put 25-30 psi though. :D

I turned on the headlight switch and I really can't see any lights working. But this was in the daytime.
I pulled out the hazard flasher switch on the steering column and the blinkers started working on the
dash. I could see the light on the front driver side fender blinking but not too bright. Also I pulled the
red lenses off of the tail lights and I could see the filament blinking dimly on both left and right sides.

So maybe I have some grounding issue. I want to get into it with my volt meter. There was an extra ground
cable connected from the battery to the frame by the front bumper but I disconnected that.

Well, anyway I'm gonna start trying to get into the lights and see. The horn button on the steering wheel works.
The radio works but the it's an old aftermarket radio and the speaker is bad.

Now actually I have five marker lights on the cab and front and rear top corner lights on the utility bed. It will
be cool to get all those working also. 8)
2003 7.3L F250
1968 F500 Utility Truck
jzjames
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Re: 1968 F500 exterior lights

Post by jzjames »

dolinick wrote:The horn button on the steering wheel works.
Wow!

All the lights working will be cool! 8)
dolinick
Blue Oval Fanatic
Blue Oval Fanatic

Post by dolinick »

so i have been starting the truck and letting it run 5 or ten minutes. i turned on the light switch one and two clicks. i have a few lights on the cab and on the bed working. i haven't begun troubleshooting them yet but i did get the timing fixed i think... i broke down and got a timing light.
2003 7.3L F250
1968 F500 Utility Truck
sargentrs
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by sargentrs »

Progress is progress! :thup: It's the little things that can give the lost satisfaction.
Randy
1970 F100 Sport Custom Limited LWB, 302cid, 3 on the tree. NO A/C, NO P/S, NO P/B. Currently in 1000 pcs while rebuilding. Project thread: http://www.fordification.com/forum/view ... 22&t=59995 Plan: 351w, C4, LSD, pwr front disc, p/s, a/c, bucket seats, new interior and paint.
1987 F-150 XLT Lariat, 5.0/C6 auto.
cep62
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by cep62 »

put a long jumper wire on your test light and hook right to the neg battery terminal .
then you know you have a good ground.
dolinick wrote:There was an extra ground
cable connected from the battery to the frame by the front bumper but I disconnected that.
hook that back up , you can't have too many grounds
dolinick
Blue Oval Fanatic
Blue Oval Fanatic

Post by dolinick »

cep62 wrote:put a long jumper wire on your test light and hook right to the neg battery terminal .
then you know you have a good ground.

dang, this should be good. i drove the truck to the car wash today and autozone. i got some tail light bulbs and headlights although i don't know if i even need them yet. dang.
dolinick wrote:There was an extra ground
hook that back up , you can't have too many grounds
I may hook it back up. thanks. i might have changed the battery terminal or something. i don't know. but it seems a little short. i want to
start troubleshooting the lights anyway. some of the lights are working. a cab marker light, a tail light and a running light on the left fender.

also there is one marker light on the top of the bed that is working.
2003 7.3L F250
1968 F500 Utility Truck
cep62
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by cep62 »

If there are any "scotch locks" wire connectors on there ,
those are a good place to look for a bad connection.