Excited to Join the Forum!

A place for new members to introduce themselves

Moderator: FORDification

Not Jonathan

Excited to Join the Forum!

Post by Not Jonathan »

Hi there everybody,

I've been a lurker for awhile but I'm finally going to have an opportunity to dive into my '65 F-100 2WD project. I've used this forum as a resource for awhile but I'm hoping I can ask some questions and share some answers with you all. When I'm not working on my truck, I'm working on my 1973 Dodge Challenger. I've had lots of success with that car but the F-100 is going to need some serious love by someone who knows what they're doing, so hopefully I'll learn quickly :D :?

I purchased the truck 280 miles away at the Michigan/Indiana border and drove it the whole way home sight unseen. It's every bit as rusty as you would imagine. The plus side is that I've gone through the electrical and have most of the accessories working. The 240/300 (not sure) inline six starts at the touch of the key even in 4 degree weather. It is backed by a NP 435 manual transmission.

I anticipate making some posts soon with some questions, but the biggest problem as of now is a crazy violent clutch chatter. It is extremely strange and unlike anything I've ever witnessed! I'm no stranger to driving a manual transmission, in fact I have only ever daily driven manual cars. There are no issues once the clutch is fully engaged and the car is driving, and no issues between gears. From a stop, I can only get the car to move if a let out the clutch extremely slowly. Any attempt to bring the RPM up while starting from a stop causes violent vibrations. Any thoughts? This is unlike any car I have ever driven. It would certainly make hill starts impossible, but luckily I have the granny gear which helps. I haven't gotten a chance to pull any inspection covers, hopefully this week if the weather clears up. I'm hoping a bolt is missing or there is some obvious wear, I would hate to see a warped flywheel.

Thanks for reading!
390FE1972
Blue Oval Fan
Blue Oval Fan

Re: Excited to Join the Forum!

Post by 390FE1972 »

:wel: from Colorado! There is lots of good into here :fr: Just to let you know there is also a website for "Slicks" truck: http://www.slick60s.com/

Regards :thup:
1972 F250 Sports Custom 390 FE C6 2WD Dana 60 4:10 gears
jzjames
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by jzjames »

Not Jonathan wrote:I would hate to see a warped flywheel.
Hope not. Let us know.
Have fun. :hd:
sargentrs
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by sargentrs »

First off :wel: from Georgia! Stop by The Welcome Mat and introduce yourself and your truck. Photos are always welcomed. As for the clutch could be a number of things. If you have any oil leaks you could have contaminated your clutch. The flywheel or clutch disc could be heat glazed. The pressure plate could have broken/weak springs. The throwout bearing could be going bad. Lot of variables. First I would go ahead and replace the clutch, pressure plate and throwout bearing and have the flywheel resurfaced. While the trannys out, inspect the clutch fork and pivot bracket. Once the clutch and tranny are back in, adjust your pedal free play.
Randy
1970 F100 Sport Custom Limited LWB, 302cid, 3 on the tree. NO A/C, NO P/S, NO P/B. Currently in 1000 pcs while rebuilding. Project thread: http://www.fordification.com/forum/view ... 22&t=59995 Plan: 351w, C4, LSD, pwr front disc, p/s, a/c, bucket seats, new interior and paint.
1987 F-150 XLT Lariat, 5.0/C6 auto.
cash667

Post by cash667 »

had a similar thing on my cougar years ago when I bought it.
Heavy vibrations when releasing clutch in first gear under load.

At the end it wasn´t the clutch, The engine (rubber)mount on the left side was lose causing the whole engine shaking when putting load on it.

Maybe you take a look at this first before going deeper in transmission..

best
Chris
1968 Mercury Cougar 302
1968 Ford F250 Camper Special 429
timmytim
Blue Oval Fan
Blue Oval Fan

Post by timmytim »

Welcome to Forum
:fr:
buy'em dirty sale'em clean
get more money for the same
machine.....
:loco:

My 1967 bump: http://www.fordification.com/forum/view ... 09#p668209

My 1970 Bump: http://www.fordification.com/forum/view ... 16&t=50726
popeyes71
Blue Oval Guru
Blue Oval Guru

Post by popeyes71 »

:wel: from California! Looking forward to seeing pictures of your new truck! :fr:
-Popeye-
1971 F-250 4x4 Highboy
1966 Chevy Nova, 8 second 10.5 car
sargentrs
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by sargentrs »

cash667 wrote:Maybe you take a look at this first before going deeper in transmission..
Good point, Chris! Thanks for that tip. Should check the tranny mount too.
Randy
1970 F100 Sport Custom Limited LWB, 302cid, 3 on the tree. NO A/C, NO P/S, NO P/B. Currently in 1000 pcs while rebuilding. Project thread: http://www.fordification.com/forum/view ... 22&t=59995 Plan: 351w, C4, LSD, pwr front disc, p/s, a/c, bucket seats, new interior and paint.
1987 F-150 XLT Lariat, 5.0/C6 auto.