Older Steering Wheel, Newer Shaft

Inside the cab...appearance, repair, upgrades

Moderator: FORDification

390xlt

Older Steering Wheel, Newer Shaft

Post by 390xlt »

I discovered recently that I've got a newer ('71+) steering shaft inside my steering column. I just had the whole thing apart and didn't realize this was going on until I put everything back together and tried to install the horn ring. I haven't had a horn (or a horn ring) since I bought it, and now I know why!
I found this thread pretty helpful: http://www.fordification.com/forum/view ... =6&t=35113
However, I'd like to avoid cutting it while in the truck due to the amount of sparks produced, and I'd like to avoid taking it out to cut it because I just got it back in.
I'm thinking that if I put a couple of spacers under the horn plate (I guess that's what it's called; it's the thing that the plastic tabs on the horn ring fit into), then that would work, but I'm not entirely sure how it's attached and I don't want to ruin the steering wheel trying to take it apart.
I've also toyed with the idea of modifying the horn button and retainer assembly to make it a little deeper.
Any thoughts on any of this? Is there a good (i.e. reasonably safe) way to cut the shaft while it's in the truck? Can the horn plate be fairly easily removed?
And I'm certainly open to any other ideas on how to tackle this.
1970 F100 Ranger XLT 390 3 speed
sargentrs
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Re: Older Steering Wheel, Newer Shaft

Post by sargentrs »

Don't know about modifying the horn ring/button. Easiest and surest thing to do is go ahead and cut the end of the shaft off. I'd take a piece of cardboard and duct tape it to the outside of the steering wheel. The sparks from the cutoff tool only go in one direction. Grinding it smooth may throw some sparks in a different direction but if you leave the bottom of the cardboard open you can greatly reduce the amount of sparks thrown. Cover your dash with a cotton drop cloth or more cardboard.
Randy
1970 F100 Sport Custom Limited LWB, 302cid, 3 on the tree. NO A/C, NO P/S, NO P/B. Currently in 1000 pcs while rebuilding. Project thread: http://www.fordification.com/forum/view ... 22&t=59995 Plan: 351w, C4, LSD, pwr front disc, p/s, a/c, bucket seats, new interior and paint.
1987 F-150 XLT Lariat, 5.0/C6 auto.
390xlt

Re: Older Steering Wheel, Newer Shaft

Post by 390xlt »

I spent some time looking at the back of the steering wheel last night, and it's definitely possible to rig something up, but it would be way more trouble than it's worth. Unless there's a good way to put spacers behind that horn plate, it looks like I've got some cutting in my future. I've got some pretty good sawzall blades that wouldn't throw sparks, but I'm not sure if that's a precise enough way to cut when we're talking about removing that little material.
1970 F100 Ranger XLT 390 3 speed