New project: chassis swap!!!

Questions about 4WDs and related topics

Moderators: FORDification, Doug Comer

Abranigan89

New project: chassis swap!!!

Post by Abranigan89 »

So heres the new project plan:

Just bought a 77 f150 4x4 singlecab longbed chassis minus the engine/trans/transfer case. My plan is to drop my 66 f250 long bed single cab body on top for all the perks of disc brakes/highway geared rear end/4x4

Big questions:

What kind of drivetrain do i use? It originally had the 351 4speed set up. I have access to a 300/5 speed but no transfer case. I know the motor mounts will need changed, and i have no idea in terms of pw steering pump...

No steering wheel... I have some welding equipment could i extend my 66 shaft to work with the 77 power steering box?

Any upgrades to the suspension i could do? Should i just swipe parts to put on my 66 instead of a frame swap? Im not as bent on making it a 4x4 but i do want to drive on the highway much smoother with less RPMs and a double bowl brake cylinder would be safer.

Thoughts?
cep62
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Re: New project: chassis swap!!!

Post by cep62 »

Abranigan89 wrote:the perks of disc brakes/highway geared rear end/4x4
Abranigan89 wrote:Im not as bent on making it a 4x4 but i do want to drive on the highway much smoother with less RPMs and a double bowl brake cylinder would be safer.
:wel:

To swap your body on that frame is a challenge the wheelbase is longer and the rear frame is wider.

you can upgrade your 66 with disc brakes and better gears a lot cheaper and easier. :2cents:
Abranigan89

Post by Abranigan89 »

I was under the impression the frames were both 34" wide for the cab mounts... I knew the wheelbase is longer from 129 on my 66 to 133 on the 77, nothing a couple new box mount holes couldnt fix.

The Dana 60 in my 66 is pretty stout, but the 4.56 gears means I'll have to pay up a whole new ring/pinion.

Most donor trucks are from the 70s- are the front disc spindles and all that able to swap over to my 66?

I'm new to all this, the help is much appreciated!
cep62
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by cep62 »

I'm not sure on the 66 ,but I put a 60 cab on a 77 and to get the tires centered in the wheel well I had to cut a lot of firewall out to clear the engine because it was shorter. It was for a mud truck so I wasn't being too fussy.
Abranigan89 wrote:The Dana 60 in my 66 is pretty stout, but the 4.56 gears means I'll have to pay up a whole new ring/pinion.
and probably a new carrier too for the different gear.
You can always get a used one and swap the gears out, double check the axle splines there different ones.
Abranigan89 wrote:Most donor trucks are from the 70s- are the front disc spindles and all that able to swap over to my 66?
http://www.slick60s.com/
check the slick 60s website they should know.