Ignition Issue... Problem Solving Advice Sought

Engine, ignition, fuel, cooling, exhaust

Moderators: Ranchero50, DuckRyder

Invictus

Ignition Issue... Problem Solving Advice Sought

Post by Invictus »

I have a 1972 F100 LWB. It was starting fine yesterday and then I replaced the turn signal switch. So nice then it won’t turn over.

ALT light comes in, radio has static sound, belt was recently tightened, battery is fairly new.

I’m very new to this and a complete novice so looking for advice on where/how to problem solve.
1972 | F100 Custom LWB | 302 | Automatic
It’s not for the weak
jzjames
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Re: Ignition Issue... Problem Solving Advice Sought

Post by jzjames »

Did you fiddle with the neutral safety switch?
Invictus

Post by Invictus »

thanks JZJAMES. I just found it onto oof the steering column and I guess I knocked out the clip. Not sure if its fallen inside or not. But the switch is all the way to the right... I guess its spring loaded to be there. if I move it in the opposite direction, the truck will start.

Any suggestions how to recover the clip or will I need to get in there? Not even sure of the layout to know what 'right' looks like. I'll go ask google but would appreciate any further advice if you have the time.

Thanks again! :fr:
1972 | F100 Custom LWB | 302 | Automatic
It’s not for the weak
sargentrs
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by sargentrs »

Here's my column rebuild thread to show you where it goes and what the inside of the column looks like
http://www.fordification.com/forum/view ... hp?t=72274 If I was in the same boat I would try to fish it out with a magnet on a coat hanger or a magnetic pick up rod. Hopefully it hasn't rolled around the shift tube and wound up on the bottom of the column housing. If so, you're looking at pulling your column out.
Randy
1970 F100 Sport Custom Limited LWB, 302cid, 3 on the tree. NO A/C, NO P/S, NO P/B. Currently in 1000 pcs while rebuilding. Project thread: http://www.fordification.com/forum/view ... 22&t=59995 Plan: 351w, C4, LSD, pwr front disc, p/s, a/c, bucket seats, new interior and paint.
1987 F-150 XLT Lariat, 5.0/C6 auto.