Can't get my boot on!

Inside the cab...appearance, repair, upgrades

Moderator: FORDification

Ron_Hall

Can't get my boot on!

Post by Ron_Hall »

Hi guys... I am having a heck of time get my fresh air boot reinstalled after rebuilding the heater unit. Anyone have any suggestions on the proper sequence ? :hmm:

Thanks
Ron
1971 F100 SWB 390 FE - bored.030 over
Edelbrock Performer - Holley 600 CFI
Stock heads with some porting - Sanderson FF427 Headers
C6 with stock converter - 3.25 rear end gears
One owner...
390FE1972
Blue Oval Fan
Blue Oval Fan

Re: Can't get my boot on!

Post by 390FE1972 »

It's been awhile since I rebuilt my heater, but if my memory is correct, I put the end that goes into the heater box first, I did this with the metal cover that exposes the heater core off. Once I got the rubber boot in place, I put the metal cover back on, then hooked up the cables, hooked up the wiring, and resistor, and connected the heater box back into the firewall and put the 3 nuts back on. I then fitted the rubber boot onto the plastic vent and put the 4 retainer clips on. Here is a thread that shows the rubber boot being worked on during a rebuild. Be very careful with the resistor as they can break easily, and the only replacements I have found are from the junkyard. I found out the hard way that on the 1968-72 resistors that the wire plug only goes on so far, so don't force it on.

http://www.fordification.com/forum/view ... 0&start=15

Regards :thup:
1972 F250 Sports Custom 390 FE C6 2WD Dana 60 4:10 gears
Ron_Hall

Post by Ron_Hall »

390FE1972 wrote:It's been awhile since I rebuilt my heater, but if my memory is correct, I put the end that goes into the heater box first, I did this with the metal cover that exposes the heater core off. Once I got the rubber boot in place, I put the metal cover back on, then hooked up the cables, hooked up the wiring, and resistor, and connected the heater box back into the firewall and put the 3 nuts back on. I then fitted the rubber boot onto the plastic vent and put the 4 retainer clips on. Here is a thread that shows the rubber boot being worked on during a rebuild. Be very careful with the resistor as they can break easily, and the only replacements I have found are from the junkyard. I found out the hard way that on the 1968-72 resistors that the wire plug only goes on so far, so don't force it on.

http://www.fordification.com/forum/view ... 0&start=15

Regards :thup:
390FE1972, Thanks I forgot to add the pic :hmm: not sure if I put the boot in the heater box first or the vent. I tried the heater box first and didn't go so well.

Thanks
Ron
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
One owner...
390FE1972
Blue Oval Fan
Blue Oval Fan

Post by 390FE1972 »

So were you able to get the boot on? If not maybe loosen the 3 heater box bolts a little so you can have a little movement to get your hand in around it.

Good luck! :thup:
1972 F250 Sports Custom 390 FE C6 2WD Dana 60 4:10 gears
Ron_Hall

Post by Ron_Hall »

390FE1972 wrote:So were you able to get the boot on? If not maybe loosen the 3 heater box bolts a little so you can have a little movement to get your hand in around it.

Good luck! :thup:
390FE1972, haven't tried today but soon. The three bolts might help, I'll give it a try first.
Thanks
Ron
One owner...