Removing original A/C from 69'

Inside the cab...appearance, repair, upgrades

Moderator: FORDification

yellercat

Removing original A/C from 69'

Post by yellercat »

That about says it guys. Looking for tips for disconnection the underdash part of the a/c. Got the ends free, but stumped on that middle part.
Trying not to damage it (like I did on the 70') so that I can re install after the primary build is completed.
Looks like access may be needed thru the heat and air controls or the radio or both??
Appreciate any tips and will put some pics up after I get it free and the new carpet laid in.
yellerc@
1970 F100 302 C-4 factory air
390FE1972
Blue Oval Fan
Blue Oval Fan

Re: Removing original A/C from 69'

Post by 390FE1972 »

My truck does not have AC, so I have not done this. Here is a quote from a previous thread, about removing the AC unit. Hopefully someone that has done it will chime in.

"The hardest part of removing the under dash AC unit will be disconnecting the AC lines. You will have to take out the glove box insert and then you will have access to the top of the AC box, wires, cables, and two AC lines. To drop the unit there are three
bolts that go through the firewall and two under the dash. One is to the far left, the other is far right. Once you get all the bolts out it will take some work to get it down and remove the heater hoses and AC drain hose.
Two things I want to emphasize that I almost forgot. If you system is charged, make sure you get it evacuated before you work on it. Second, be very careful with the fresh air rubber tube that is on the far right side of the HVAC box. There are no replacements made for them. When i pulled the A/C unit from mine i had to remove the floor shifter, drain tube, glove box, control cables and the seal on the firewall for the lines. Only 4 bolts hold the unit in. I removed the 2 on the fire wall, Blocked up
the unit and pulled the 2 under the dash. Pull the blocking and the unit will slide down (with help) the firewall to t some extra eyes to see what the unit wants to hang up on the way out. My unit didn't have any freon in it".

Regards :thup:
1972 F250 Sports Custom 390 FE C6 2WD Dana 60 4:10 gears
390FE1972
Blue Oval Fan
Blue Oval Fan

Post by 390FE1972 »

If you are rebuilding a factory AC unit, here is some excellent threads from Sargentrs:

http://www.fordification.com/forum/view ... 3&start=45 (start at page one)
http://www.fordification.com/forum/view ... =8&t=80008
http://www.fordification.com/forum/view ... =8&t=80042

Regards :drive:
1972 F250 Sports Custom 390 FE C6 2WD Dana 60 4:10 gears
yellercat

Post by yellercat »

Hey thanks, 390. Going to get on it more Saturday and will be going into the glove box area first; like I did on the 70' when changing the heater box assembly. Appreciate the links. :thup:

So, I was wrong, my unit is an aftermarket unit that retains the original glove box. Still my plan of attack though. :oops:
yellercat

Post by yellercat »

OK, so the key on the aftermarket or dealer installed A/C removal is a single nut on the bottom of the lip of the lower metal part of the console (dash).
You can access it easiest by taking out the ash tray and the frame of the ash tray. That's what held me up!
Just have to snake the lines through the firewall now and should be out of the way for the time being.