No Spark?

Charging, starting, lighting, gauges, HVAC

Moderators: FORDification, Thunderfoot

erikmuehlhausen

No Spark?

Post by erikmuehlhausen »

Howdy. 1967 F100 with a 289. MSD distributor. Engine stalled and now won't fire. Used multi-meter to track power and resistance all over the place and cannot find any faults. Have new primary wiring from battery, etc. Swapped out a new MSD coil but still no spark. Spark plug wires test fine. Pickup inside distributor tests fine. Old and new coil both tested fine. Pretty sure I have good grounds. Carefully cleaned all "points" etc inside and out of distributor. Voltage Regulator tested fine. Pulled distributor, found Top Dead Center (i think) and reinstalled with rotor aligned to 1st cylinder wire. Still no spark.

I'm a newbie (learning a ton from your posts and discussions, thanks very much!!) but am now at a loss for what next to test/replace. Probably using some wrong terminology, so thanks or bearing with me. Any suggestions? I just wanna get back to cruising around town! Thanks in advance
1967 F100 - 289
Indiana
sargentrs
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Re: No Spark?

Post by sargentrs »

So you're still running points? Replace the condenser. Buy 2 or 3. They are known to be bad right out of the the box.
Randy
1970 F100 Sport Custom Limited LWB, 302cid, 3 on the tree. NO A/C, NO P/S, NO P/B. Currently in 1000 pcs while rebuilding. Project thread: http://www.fordification.com/forum/view ... 22&t=59995 Plan: 351w, C4, LSD, pwr front disc, p/s, a/c, bucket seats, new interior and paint.
1987 F-150 XLT Lariat, 5.0/C6 auto.
erikmuehlhausen

Thanks for the reply. I think I misspoke...shouldn't have said points. This distributer is a MSD HEI 8365 model with the coil and module integral. I meant all of the metal contact points in the cap were what I carefully cleaned to make sure there was no corrosion. So no condenser, I don't believe.

Again, I'm just making my way through Basics 101 at this point in my Forducation Degree!

I've just been scratching my head with this electrical stuff. Truck was running ok and then just won't fire.
1967 F100 - 289
Indiana
sargentrs
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by sargentrs »

Randy
1970 F100 Sport Custom Limited LWB, 302cid, 3 on the tree. NO A/C, NO P/S, NO P/B. Currently in 1000 pcs while rebuilding. Project thread: http://www.fordification.com/forum/view ... 22&t=59995 Plan: 351w, C4, LSD, pwr front disc, p/s, a/c, bucket seats, new interior and paint.
1987 F-150 XLT Lariat, 5.0/C6 auto.
erikmuehlhausen

Thanks. Looks like some very worthwhile possibilities here indeed. Also a lesson in searching more specifically online rather than generically. Thanks for the tips.
1967 F100 - 289
Indiana
bellamor

Post by bellamor »

No spark indicates an ignition problem. If an engine has a coil-on-plug ignition system with no plug wires, remove one of the coils from the spark plug and insert an old spark plug, a spark plug tester or a screwdriver into the end of the coil.