Coil Resistor Wire Subsitute

Charging, starting, lighting, gauges, HVAC

Moderators: FORDification, Thunderfoot

qmcdugan

Coil Resistor Wire Subsitute

Post by qmcdugan »

The truck is a 70 F100 with a 1970 351C.
Needed: a Part Number, if therer is one to be had.

Might there, be a suitable Ballast Coil Resistor Block replacement, for the Original Resistor wire? Getting the right one or one that works,
is difficult as there are no markings on the block that I tested and removed today.

The following is the procedure I used during testing of the Resistor that looks like an RU38, listed on O'Reilly's web site.

FIRST: Check the Battery voltage. Should see about 12v

Next: Testing the Ballast Resistor Block. Disconnect the INPUT wire that comes out from the firewall to the Block. Connect the RED
test lead to the INPUT wire and the BLK lead to the ground cable (that’s right there). Should see 12v. Yes? Good.

Next: Re-connect the INPUT wire to the block and disconnect the OUTPUT wire from the block and connect the RED test lead
to the exposed tab on the block. Should see 6-10v.

NO? 12v? That means the Ballast Resistor Block is shot, get a new one.

At the end of the day, I have a STANDARD brand RU11 Resistor block installed. It's a bit of a crap shoot as to wheather it will continue to work.
With the engine running, I'm seeing 10.1v at the POS terminal on the Coil. Oh and I installled new condenser and points, gap at .018.
70 F-100 Sport Custom, 84 Camaro SportCoupe
sargentrs
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Re: Coil Resistor Wire Subsitute

Post by sargentrs »

Replacement resistor wires are available at a varity of places. Search for C0LF-12250-A or Motorcraft DY-37. You're local parts store may be able to order one for you crossreferencing the Motorcraft number. Here's one from NPD. https://www.npdlink.com/product/resisto ... ied/101401
Randy
1970 F100 Sport Custom Limited LWB, 302cid, 3 on the tree. NO A/C, NO P/S, NO P/B. Currently in 1000 pcs while rebuilding. Project thread: http://www.fordification.com/forum/view ... 22&t=59995 Plan: 351w, C4, LSD, pwr front disc, p/s, a/c, bucket seats, new interior and paint.
1987 F-150 XLT Lariat, 5.0/C6 auto.
qmcdugan

Re: Coil Resistor Wire Subsitute

Post by qmcdugan »

SARGENTRS
Thanks for the link. One is on the way.

It's still running and its day two on the, STANDARD RU11, ballast resistor.
70 F-100 Sport Custom, 84 Camaro SportCoupe