New dizzy and ignition module

Engine, ignition, fuel, cooling, exhaust

Moderators: Ranchero50, DuckRyder

Zorm
Blue Oval Fan
Blue Oval Fan

New dizzy and ignition module

Post by Zorm »

Alright folks, got a new duraspark dizzy and module for the 351w (early 90's vintage, non-roller). Thing is, can I use this dizzy and just modify the connector, or take this back and get another dizzy with a closer to correct connector

connector on the dizzy

wire colors dizzy connector one side

wire colors dizzy other side.

Duraspark module 4 pin connector wire colors.

thanks for thoughts.
1971 F250 Camper Special, family owned since 1972
1983 Cherokee, last of the big ones, bought in Italy, family owned since 1998
1965 Corvair Corsa Convertible, 140 engine, 4 speed.

HE guides my path, forgives me when I stray and lights my life
My427stang
Blue Oval Fan
Blue Oval Fan

Re: New dizzy and ignition module

Post by My427stang »

I am not sure what you are trying to do to give a good answer, however, if trying to run the EEC-IV computer controlled distributor on a standard Dursapark box or MSD, you cannot.

That is called a thick film distributor and they do not have mechanical or vacuum advance.

Additionally, I would have to go do a little research, I don't do a lot of Windsors, but I think the later roller motors had a different shaft length for the oil pump drive, and a steel gear.

I'll check back but let me know if I understood the question correctly.
71 F-100 SB 4x4, 461 FE, Edelbrock Pro-flo 4, 4 speed, 4 inch softride lift, all poly bushings, integral PS, most mods installed since the 80's
70 Mustang Sportsroof 489 FE, EFI, TKO-600 5 speed, 4.11s
Engine building by-appointment only--30+ years, specializing in strong street pump gas FEs
Zorm
Blue Oval Fan
Blue Oval Fan

Post by Zorm »

my427stang, your are exactly right, kick my own butt, there is no vac on this dizzy. duh!! its going back for a correct one.
1971 F250 Camper Special, family owned since 1972
1983 Cherokee, last of the big ones, bought in Italy, family owned since 1998
1965 Corvair Corsa Convertible, 140 engine, 4 speed.

HE guides my path, forgives me when I stray and lights my life
My427stang
Blue Oval Fan
Blue Oval Fan

Post by My427stang »

Zorm wrote:my427stang, your are exactly right, kick my own butt, there is no vac on this dizzy. duh!! its going back for a correct one.
It's not only vacuum advance, there is no mechanical advance under the plate. The computer does all the advance work electronically. That distributor is pretty much only a shaft that drives the rotor and a flying shutter wheel for the pickup, no moving parts inside.

I would get a Duraspark for the proper application in the mid to late 70s.

Also, be sure to measure distributor gear depth, rebuilt distributors can be patched together and if you bolt it down and it's too deep, it will shear the pin and you are in a world of hurt.
71 F-100 SB 4x4, 461 FE, Edelbrock Pro-flo 4, 4 speed, 4 inch softride lift, all poly bushings, integral PS, most mods installed since the 80's
70 Mustang Sportsroof 489 FE, EFI, TKO-600 5 speed, 4.11s
Engine building by-appointment only--30+ years, specializing in strong street pump gas FEs