Do I have the correct pulleys for my 1969 with AC ?

Engine, ignition, fuel, cooling, exhaust

Moderators: Ranchero50, DuckRyder

UKPR1

Do I have the correct pulleys for my 1969 with AC ?

Post by UKPR1 »

Silly question, but I'm at the point where I can now sort out my AC system, but the more I look at it, the more it looks wrong. The compressor pulley lines up with an idler pulley, but doesn't line up with anything else to drive the compressor. I've looked at the belt routing schematics and mine just looks different.
IMG_0123-compressed.JPG
IMG_0121-compressed.JPG
IMG_0122-compressed.JPG
So for those of you with factory AC, could you mind commenting on if these look correct or not.

Thanks in advance,

Geoff
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
UKPR1

Re: Do I have the correct pulleys for my 1969 with AC ?

Post by UKPR1 »

Another shot from a different angle:
IMG_9942.jpg
It's almost as if the AC compressor pulley is too thick, or I need one more groove on the fan pulley, or...? And then how would you even apply tension to the compressor belt without it going around a pulley that can be tensioned (like the alternator belt)?

Thanks again.

Geoff
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
CH3NO2

Post by CH3NO2 »

The A/C belt doesn't touch the fan pulley. You should have an adjuster pulley on the right side above the alt and a idler pulley on the left side between the compressor and the crank pulley and the belt goes around the comp,adj.pulley,crank pulley and idler pulley.
alvald83

Post by alvald83 »

20200620_093803 - Copy (2).jpg
Here are my pulleys. Im not running my AC at the moment. You can see the 4 Ac belt pulleys including the crank and compressor pulleys.
UKPR1

Post by UKPR1 »

Thanks, guys! So from the description and the picture, I see that I'm missing an adjustment pulley that sits above the alternator, so I have to source that. The only other question I have is that if the belt is supposed to go comp-idler-crank-adjust pullies, then the comp pulley and idler pulley below it should align, correct? Why does mine appear not to? The crank and idler pullies however, do appear to align. Am I looking at an incorrect compressor pulley on my compressor, perhaps?

Thanks again,

Geoff
CH3NO2

Post by CH3NO2 »

Check to see if you have spacers between the comp bracket and the head. If so remove them and shim your steering pump bracket out.
IMG_20200906_103200_6.jpg
IMG_20200906_103311_8.jpg
My427stang
Blue Oval Fan
Blue Oval Fan

Post by My427stang »

I don't have AC on my bump, but my FE Mustang has the following, (starting from the timing cover)

- Inner crank drives alternator, water pump
- Next belt, crank drives power steering and water pump
- Belt closest to the radiator, crank drives a/c alone, although there are two idler pulleys, one adjustable

Crank pulley is three groove
Water pump pulley is 2 groove
Alternator, PS and of course A/C is single groove
71 F-100 SB 4x4, 461 FE, Edelbrock Pro-flo 4, 4 speed, 4 inch softride lift, all poly bushings, integral PS, most mods installed since the 80's
70 Mustang Sportsroof 489 FE, EFI, TKO-600 5 speed, 4.11s
Engine building by-appointment only--30+ years, specializing in strong street pump gas FEs
CH3NO2

Post by CH3NO2 »

My427stang wrote:I don't have AC on my bump, but my FE Mustang has the following, (starting from the timing cover)

- Inner crank drives alternator, water pump
- Next belt, crank drives power steering and water pump
- Belt closest to the radiator, crank drives a/c alone, although there are two idler pulleys, one adjustable

Crank pulley is three groove
Water pump pulley is 2 groove
Alternator, PS and of course A/C is single groove
That's the same as my 68 F250 C/S.
UKPR1

Post by UKPR1 »

Gentlemen...you have my thanks. That's enough for me to go on. I appreciate you.

Regards,

Geoff
UKPR1

Post by UKPR1 »

So after looking at the pulley page on the site, I ordered and mounted what I believe to be the correct passenger side AC tensioner pulley which mounts above the alternator. The belt hasn't arrived yet, so I wound a piece of string around the pulleys the AC would turn, just to check the alignment. I had originally thought that the AC compressor pulley was too far forward and thus out of alignment. But with no room whatsoever behind the compressor and the valve cover or PS filler tube for that matter my attention turned elsewhere.
IMG_0355-compressed.jpg
So using the string check for alignment, I now think that the driver's side idler pulley is about 3/16" too far back towards the block:
IMG_0358-compressed.jpg
Looking at ways to correct this, I thought about shimming - as others have suggested - the bracket that the pulley is mounted into forward, but then the PS pump is also mounted to that bracket and the PS pulley will then be out of alignment. So...my question is: is to possible to have a machine shop adjust the pulley mounted into this bracket, or is this the wrong approach? Is such fettling with pulley alignment on these trucks a common or usual occurrence?

As always, thank you for your time, interest and input.

Geoff