Seeking thoughts and opinions on future paint and interior

No tech discussion, please

Moderator: FORDification

JoshT
Preferred User
Preferred User

Seeking thoughts and opinions on future paint and interior

Post by JoshT »

This is my '68 F-100 basically as it sits.

[image]1010[/image]

I know 70 model grill, reflectors in the bed. The current (supposedly third) body was installed by my dad back in the '80s.

Marti Report on the 68 says it was originally Rangoon Red, Custom package, with red vinyl interior. Now I'm not sure, but I think that means that the interior sheet metal would also have been Rangoon Red, and basically no trim on the exterior.

No Marti report on the '70, but it's Royal Maroon and Wimbledon White with the Sport Custom trim package. Interior paint is Wimbledon White with Red (or maybe dark red?) Vinyl.

It's quite a ways (many years) off but eventually the truck will get rust fixed and painted. I'm torn on what color to paint. Either it'll be a more modern Ford metallic in Red/Brown/Copper, or I'll go back with an original paint option. Before I started working on this thing I was set on some sort of burnt copper color. Since starting on it I'm really liking the Rangoon Red that it would have left the factory with.

If I go with later model metallic paint it's getting painted same color inside and out. In that case I was planning to go with a tan or saddle leather upholstery color, think King Ranch type look on dash pad seat and door panels.

If I go with the Rangoon Red I plan to keep a little of whats there, picking and choosing the trim that I like and celebrating that it's a mutt. Probably a standard tu-tone with Rangoon Red body color and Wimbledon White roof, keep the 70 Grill, keep the all the trim, or maybe step up to Ranger belt line molding if I decide to replace instead of clean & polish. In this case I'd leave the interior Wimbledon White, but probably a fresh coat of paint. My concern is the upholstery. I can't say I care for a red interior, though it does kinda fit with these trucks. I still like the idea of tan/saddle upholstery, but I'm concerned that would be too much light color in the interior and look off since it doesn't integrate the red.

I'm interested in hearing your thoughts and opinions on this. I'm primarily trying to make a decision about the interior, but feel free to chime in on any of it. I'll try not to get upset if I don't like what I'm hearing. I'm just trying to get ideas in mind so I'm not wasting work and money on things that will end up getting replaced again.
1968 F-100 4x4 long bed - 360 FE - NP435 w/ Dana 21 - PS & PB conversion - Front Disc Swap - 265/75R16 - 1" S.L. & 2" B.L. (to be removed) - Homemade tube bumpers - Warn 8274 - Currently wearing 1970 body
ok68crewcab
Preferred User
Preferred User

Re: Seeking thoughts and opinions on future paint and interior

Post by ok68crewcab »

I really like the original "classic" red and white. Not a big fan of the red interior either. Not period correct but I like a gray seats.
2 Blessed 2 Be Stressed
JoshT
Preferred User
Preferred User

Post by JoshT »

Yeah, I think I'm going to be torn on this for a while.

If I go with the Rangoon Red, I'll be doing the same paint scheme that mreed has on his truck here.

[image]1445[/image]

I wish this was an easier decision. I'd like to start fixing up the interior a bit, buying new parts a little along or even jumping on deals when browsing eBay. For most of the bits that need replacing, I kinda need to decide on an interior color first. Truck is competing with college tuition (tuition comes first of course) and possibly another project truck for funds, so not buying twice and spreading out cost are both important.
1968 F-100 4x4 long bed - 360 FE - NP435 w/ Dana 21 - PS & PB conversion - Front Disc Swap - 265/75R16 - 1" S.L. & 2" B.L. (to be removed) - Homemade tube bumpers - Warn 8274 - Currently wearing 1970 body
cep62
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by cep62 »

If this a keeper paint it the color you want , if you might sell it paint it red ,there's a phrase called "resale red" for a reason.
Generally speaking the more red and the more metallic or pearl the more the paint costs.

Black and basic white are less expensive, and go with about any other color.
If you're concentrating on the interior you can paint it black to get started.
Then when you chose a color you can do the door jambs and inner doors and leave the dash and cab black ,I think it would look ok.
just a thought.
it all comes down to time and money. :2cents:
JoshT
Preferred User
Preferred User

Post by JoshT »

It's a keeper, if it wasn't I wouldn't have it. I don't do the whole flip game. If I buy something I plan to have it for a long time, or drive it into the ground on the way. In this case the truck has been in my family since before I was born (I'm 35), I hope that I can keep it here until after I'm gone.

Resale value is not my concern. My concern was I was originally leaning towards the what ever you want when I started working on it, now I'm having a hard time imaging it any color other than an original red. Just not the Royal Maroon that's on it now. I really like metallics, pearls are ok, but I really like the metallics. That said, while I do intend to fix the truck up and make it look nice, it will still be a woods and work truck. If the paint gets scratched up and damaged, it'll be a lot easier to fix and match the solid than a metallic or pearl.

It's not so much that I'm focusing on the interior, but it's an easy area to start making some big improvements. I'd like to start stashing away parts or even start fixing up the interior since it's what I'll mostly see while driving. I also feel like I've missed some deals on good condition used parts because I don't know what I want to do.

More pictures I see of these trucks in the original red color, the more I feel like that is the correct decision. Saw a really good shot of a 71 or 72 today on Facebook that is setup almost exactly what I had in mind. Wasn't Rangoon, but it was the brighter red for the year. About the same trim package, Same wheels I want, and similar tire size. About the same stance. Main difference is that it was solid red, while I'm thinking about tu-toning the roof. The factory red with the polished trim, the chrome bumpers, polished alloy wheels, it just looked right.

Now I've just got to figure out the differences in the red upholstery. It appears from looking at the Vin decoders here on the site, as well as the aftermarket replacement trim colors offered, that there were two different shades of red used. A red and a dark red. Looking at pictures of door panels I can't really tell the difference. I ain't got to solve it all today though.
DuckRyder

Post by DuckRyder »

I would do it the red, and probably not 2 tone.

I confess though that i would probably paint it back the original color even if it was an ugly color. You're lucky the Rangoon Red is about as far from an ugly color as you can get.

To me modern colors just don't look right on old cars generally it always looks like someone put a modern color on an old car...

I have kind of thought about two toning mine, but probably won't I'm still on the fence though, it might come down to my mood the day I paint it. :hmm:

Most of the metal in the interior will be body color, but things like the dash grills and column will be a different red (or should be). If you just hate the red vinyl, do black.

:2cents:
Robert
1972 F100 Ranger XLT (445/C6/9” 3.50 Truetrac)

"An unarmed man can only flee from evil, and evil is not overcome by fleeing from it." -- Jeff Cooper
JoshT
Preferred User
Preferred User

Post by JoshT »

Thanks Robert.

I want to clarify if I do 2 tone it, it'll just be the roof painted Wimbledon White. Like the second picture I posted. In that case I'll leave the interior painted Wimbledon White like it currently is, with the upholstery in red.

I don't necessarily dislike the red upholstery, I dislike too much red and I hate red interior in a newer truck. I think red painted interior with red upholstery would be too much red for my taste.

If I do the exterior in a single color, the interior painted surfaces will be the same color. If that color is red, making the upolstery red would be too much IMO, but a tan or black upholstery might work well. I'd also consider a white interior, but since this will be a working truck I really don't want to go that light of color.

Being here in GA and wanting to eventually be able to drive the truck year round, I'd prefer to avoid black on the interior or exterior as I'm sure you can understand. Lighter color upholstery would be beneficial during the warmer months. That's also part of why I'm considering the white roof with the interior paint matched to the roof.
DuckRyder

Post by DuckRyder »

Maybe theres inspiration to be had in this thread:

https://www.fordification.com/forum/vie ... 9&start=90

:D
Robert
1972 F100 Ranger XLT (445/C6/9” 3.50 Truetrac)

"An unarmed man can only flee from evil, and evil is not overcome by fleeing from it." -- Jeff Cooper