transfer case bushings

No tech discussion, please

Moderator: FORDification

1browski

transfer case bushings

Post by 1browski »

Has anyone used new poly bushings on their tranfer case? I am referring to the Prothane brand #6-1601. If so, did you have any issues with the way they bolt down compared to the factory bushings? When I started to bolt them down with the mounting bracket, they kept crushing without becoming solidly attached before going beyond the key hole for the castle nut. Was curious whether any of you used them anyway, altered them, just sent them back, or if you had no issues at all.
HarleyJack

Re: transfer case bushings

Post by HarleyJack »

I have them on my 75 Highboy case. No issues at all. Was happy with them. They were about the only option out there for what I found...at a decent price point.
1browski

Post by 1browski »

Would you happen to have a pic that included the upper bushing bolted down with castle nut?
HarleyJack

Post by HarleyJack »

Not off hand as it has been years ago when I did it. However, if I can remember I will try to snap one for you tonight. Truck is in the garage with no bed, prepping for its first start since a total engine/trans rebuild. They were red, now a little black I am sure from painting the case/frame etc.
1browski

Post by 1browski »

Feeling a little slow. I havent figured out how to get my pics on this site from the computer yet. Im in the middle of a resto right now on my 1972 f250 4x4. I was going to put the transfer case back on last weekend and then a small bushing snag. Its hard to explain the difference in the new and old upper bushings without the pics. Thx for the help.
1browski

Post by 1browski »

[image][image]1476[/image][/image]
finally figuring this out. This is the old upper bushing.

[image][image]1475[/image][/image]
This is the prothane.
HarleyJack

Post by HarleyJack »

I completely forgot! Sorry. I was sidetracked getting my 1975 Highboy started for the first time in years since I built the motor.
Those look correct/what I took off and put on. Heading home at lunch, let me see what I did. That looks how I did it. The idea I think is if it compresses the lower then it will ride up into the hole, but I don't think they compress much. Your bolts look a little different, I don't recall mine having a hole for a cotter pin if that is what I am seeing.
1browski

Post by 1browski »

Just uploaded another pic of transfer case with the old bushings and castle nuts on it.
[image][image]1478[/image][/image]

The new upper tightens down lower than the originals.
HarleyJack

Post by HarleyJack »

Here is what mine looks like. The prothane mounts the same way as original. You have it correct.
Looks like I was mistaken too, mine have the cotter pin hole. It has only been 12 years LOL.

Edit: Apparently I need to learn how to post pics. I have it but can't post it.
1browski

Post by 1browski »

I just finally figured it out. There has been many times I wanted to put on a pic and was stumped. I kept trying to do it like on other sites. What I had to do was move a picture from my computer to my gallery and then link it. Thx for the help. Im going to use them as they are with a larger washer on the top of the bushing for more even crush on the top. I will keep my old bushings though, they are not in that bad of shape. I have seen 100x worse. On to two new floor pans.