Dropped the oil pump shaft

Engine, ignition, fuel, cooling, exhaust

Moderators: Ranchero50, DuckRyder

dandy341

Dropped the oil pump shaft

Post by dandy341 »

When removing the original distributor (Rusted WAY out) the oil pump shaft came out also. Trying to drop it back in the right spot, I think it missed the mark and it sounds like it hit the oil pan. That just got much more complicated.
Is there a shade tree trick to getting that out without having to remove the oil pan?
And, yes, I have a greasy spot on my forehead for pulling such a rookie move. Self inflicted head slap.
390FE1972
Blue Oval Fan
Blue Oval Fan

Re: Dropped the oil pump shaft

Post by 390FE1972 »

Not sure if this will help? but it is in regards to FE engines (352,360,390 etc): https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q ... m6bHa8imjd

Try doing a google search to see more results.

Regards :thup:
1972 F250 Sports Custom 390 FE C6 2WD Dana 60 4:10 gears
DuckRyder

Post by DuckRyder »

Drain the oil and shine a light down there. Can you see it?

If so, something like this might get it:

https://www.amazon.com/Flexible-Claw-Au ... B000RB7AGY

Failing that, it is pull the pan or just buy a new one and let the old one roll around. (I'm not saying leaving it in there is a good idea, but you wouldn't be the first.)

In either case you might consider taking this opportunity to upgrade it.
Robert
1972 F100 Ranger XLT (445/C6/9” 3.50 Truetrac)

"An unarmed man can only flee from evil, and evil is not overcome by fleeing from it." -- Jeff Cooper
dandy341

Post by dandy341 »

Thanks for the replies. I'll start with the grab tool and work up the chain of effort. This would be so much easier if I'd broken down closer to my garage (and tools). I'd push it but it's a Camper Special and doesn't like to cooperate with that method.

I'll post more as I go so I might be able to help others like you all did me.
My427stang
Blue Oval Fan
Blue Oval Fan

Post by My427stang »

Drop the pan and do it right IMHO

It does suck, but you run the risk of dropping the new one and why set it up the same way that fought you? Put it in correctly with the clip preventing it to come out again, clean out the pan, adds a little time, but you won't ever worry again

I feel for you and not looking to add work, but putting a new one in from the bottom means you never have to worry again
71 F-100 SB 4x4, 461 FE, Edelbrock Pro-flo 4, 4 speed, 4 inch softride lift, all poly bushings, integral PS, most mods installed since the 80's
70 Mustang Sportsroof 489 FE, EFI, TKO-600 5 speed, 4.11s
Engine building by-appointment only--30+ years, specializing in strong street pump gas FEs
CH3NO2

Post by CH3NO2 »

I'm not recomending this just telling the story. I dropped my pump rod all the way to the bottom so there was no fishing it out. So I took an 1.5 in. hole saw,drilled a hole in the front of the pan and retrieved my pump rod. Slid a oblong patch through the hole with a stud tacked to it, pulled up tight to the inside and welded the hole closed then cut off the stud.. Problem solved.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
cep62
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by cep62 »

Well ... if it doesn't leak it's not wrong.

I would be worried about oil vapor sounding like a dog though.

WOOF. :D