Considering 4.6L cobra engine and 5speed for my 68

Engine, ignition, fuel, cooling, exhaust

Moderators: Ranchero50, DuckRyder

BigRobK

Considering 4.6L cobra engine and 5speed for my 68

Post by BigRobK »

Considering a 4.6 l engine and 5speed transmission from a 98 mustang Cobra. Not too familiar with the mod motors from that year. Most of my experiences are the 95 and older 302s. Found it at the turkey rod run in Daytona Beach. Seems to be a good deal. Engine transmission computer and wiring for about $3000 106,000 miles on them. from what I can tell there is no aftermarket mods on the engine except for a b&m shifter. Hoping that means the car was taken care of and not too ragged out. Looking for some feedback or point me in the direction of other older posts that discuss the pros and cons of trying to get this motor and transmission into my 68 F100 Ranger. If you guys have a better suggestion for bang for the buck on an engine and transmission for our truck please point me in that direction. Looking for a V8 with 5-speed manual transmission with around 300 horsepower.
Our Ranger was flooded in hurricane Irma and the insurance we kept on it did not cover flood damage so my 15yo son and I are finally getting around to rebuilding it, which means new engine and transmission as well as many other things. All new electrical and interior. Body and metal work is still in decent shape so just focusing on getting it back running for now before the pretty stuff goes on. Going to do rear fuel tank conversation. We have stripped the interior and cleaned it but it will be a long road from here. Any help and direction on parts and pieces as they come up would be greatly appreciated.
Thank you
Rob
BigRobK

Re: Considering 4.6L cobra engine and 5speed for my 68

Post by BigRobK »

Certain there are hurdles to overcome with the O2 sensors and other electronics associated with airbags and safety sensors that will need to be eliminated or bypassed somehow. Hopefully there is a few people out there that have attempted this in their 5th gen f100. Thanks again in advance looking forward to this project we have a lot of homework to do!!!
Rob
BigRobK

Post by BigRobK »

Also just throwing this out there we have some motorcycles and rifles that we will be considering for trade on parts and or donor vehicles. If anybody has anything that would work on our F100 and would like a list of the motorcycles and or rifles for consideration private message me. Thanks
Rob
Fordkid68
Preferred User
Preferred User

Post by Fordkid68 »

That sounds like it would be an awesome swap! should have loads of power!
Adam

My first truck,
1968 F100 lwb 2wd soon to have a 351w, 5-speed
http://www.fordification.com/forum/view ... 15#p771357
^^Build Thread^^
04 Subaru Outback (daily driver), with a 2.5l boxer H4
(no other projects, YET!)
"Might be crazy but I ain't dumb"!