Motorcraft 2bbl fuel feed issue and solution

Engine, ignition, fuel, cooling, exhaust

Moderators: Ranchero50, DuckRyder

two-bit
Blue Oval Fan
Blue Oval Fan

Motorcraft 2bbl fuel feed issue and solution

Post by two-bit »

I thought i would post this info for future reference incase it comes in handy.
Had a call about an '68 F-250, 360, 2bbl a few months back.
Truck sat forever, new owner was trying to get it running. By the time he contacted me he had a laundry list of new parts and work and no good results.
New... points, condenser, spinner, hat, wires and plugs. line from carb to pump flushed out, new fuel pump, new hose in gas can. He had opened the carb, checked the needle and seat, main jets were clear. Accel pump worked.
Engine would start and run only if you filled the float bowl. Then run till the bowl was empty.
He was beside himself, could not figure it out.

I dug in and found the culprit.

Under the seat for the needle, there was metal screen, small cylinder shape, fits into the bottom of the port on the carb the the seat threads into. That screen was plugged SOLID. Cleaned it up, reinstalled everything. Refilled the bowl. Hit the key and Bingo it idled and ran like a champ.

The previous owner was his Uncle. Who quit driving the truck because of the same reason ! It was a plow rig for years, one winter it seemed to lack power, next winter, no start. The uncle thought it was the fuel pump, put a new one on. No change. Parked it after trying a few other things and getting no where.
Then comes nephew 16 years later. Same issues, same course of action, same results.

For those of you who have a 2bbl Motorcraft, If you have fuel delivery issues, look for that little screen, and make sure it clean, before you start throwing parts at it.
I believe this will apply to 2100, 2150 2bbl carbs, and possibly the old 4F(4100) 4bbl as well.
Other carbs (motorcraft/Autolite) may have this also ? Not sure.

Two-bit
Living life full throttle on the North Coast of America!!!

72' F-350, DRW, 360, NP435, Dana 70, 159" WB, P.S., P.B., 12' flatbed, 10,000 GVW.
tsherry
Preferred User
Preferred User

Re: Motorcraft 2bbl fuel feed issue and solution

Post by tsherry »

Good stuff there. Nice find.
too many Fords, no where near 'nuff time.

or, money.