Carb tuning

Engine, ignition, fuel, cooling, exhaust

Moderators: Ranchero50, DuckRyder

72bumbee
Preferred User
Preferred User

Carb tuning

Post by 72bumbee »

Ive changed the distributor to one of those fancy performance dizzy.
seems like after that was replaced, the dern think seems to be missing on acceleration. Almost seems like it wants to just stop carbureting! It hasn't actually died yet.
anybody see any links or is it time to ditch the autolite and put my Holly Carb on it?
“To succeed in life, you need two things: ignorance and confidence.”
Mark Twain

1972 F-250 Camper Special. 360 A/T P/B AND a DANA 60 Rearend!
Former owner of dads 1967 F-100. It has gone home to the big road in the sky...
basketcase0302
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Re: Carb tuning

Post by basketcase0302 »

"72bumbee"Ive changed the distributor to one of those fancy performance dizzy.
seems like after that was replaced, the dern think seems to be missing on acceleration. Almost seems like it wants to just stop carbureting! It hasn't actually died yet.
anybody see any links or is it time to ditch the autolite and put my Holly Carb on it?
Start with your timning light if you've changed the timing, (almost sounds like you have retarded the timing too much).
What do you have the total advance set at now and which engine? :hmm:

Edit: I see you have the 360 in your signature, is it stock or does it have a cam or other upgrades to the engine?
Jeff
http://www.fordification.com/forum/view ... 22&t=46251
SOLD-71 F-350 dually flatbed, 302 / .030 over V-8 with a "baby"C-6, B & M truckshifter, Dana70/4.11 ratio, intermittent wipers, tilt steering, full LED lighting on the flat bed, and no stereo yet (this way I can hear the rattles to diagnose)! SOLD!
Many Ford bumps / one 76' EB / and several dents through the years.
A lot of "oddball" Ford parts collected from working on them for 34 years now!
2008 Ford Escape 4 x 4
two-bit
Blue Oval Fan
Blue Oval Fan

Post by two-bit »

If you changed the dizzy, and now you have issues. Figure out those dizzy issues. Something is amiss there.
I would NOT start changing other parts, that would only lead to more variables.

Does your new dizzy require 12 volts for proper operation ? If so, factory wiring does not feed 12 volts to the dizzy while running. The factory harness is built with a resistor wire, to drop the voltage being fed to the dizzy. Points are not fond of 12vlts.
Its a place to start. Not sure if it helps you or not.

Two-bit
Living life full throttle on the North Coast of America!!!

72' F-350, DRW, 360, NP435, Dana 70, 159" WB, P.S., P.B., 12' flatbed, 10,000 GVW.
NLF250

Post by NLF250 »

If the only change you made is the distributor, I'd start there fist, unless you fiddled with the carb, nothing should have gone awry that end.
If the dizzy needs 12 actual volts, don't use the wire going to the coil for that as that is a resistor wire that brings the voltage down quite a bit. It's better to use that wire to switch a relay with a full 12v straight from the battery (or the battery side of the starter relay) to the dizzy.
Check and adjust the timing at idle to meet the factory spec before you start to play with the carb..
1970 F-250 Custom w/ 360 and C6
72bumbee
Preferred User
Preferred User

Post by 72bumbee »

Thanks for all the great ideas!
I went over everything you guys touched on and was still experiencing the problem.
Was driving by an old mechanics place while he was out in his garage and he said it sounded like it was trying to choke itself out.
at that point i immediately realized i was fooling with the choke last summer .... ooops.... so i dialed it back as far as i could without killing it and runs fine now!!
also noticed the last guy that worked on it never replaced the hot water line that runs next to the choke!
Thanks again everyone! :fr:
“To succeed in life, you need two things: ignorance and confidence.”
Mark Twain

1972 F-250 Camper Special. 360 A/T P/B AND a DANA 60 Rearend!
Former owner of dads 1967 F-100. It has gone home to the big road in the sky...