Five rear mains later, could it be a crankshaft issue?

Engine, ignition, fuel, cooling, exhaust

Moderators: Ranchero50, DuckRyder

lovemycbx

Re: Five rear mains later, could it be a crankshaft issue?

Post by lovemycbx »

So for anyone wondering what that reverse rotation crank looks like, here is the comparison between the new Scat stroker crank and the 390 reverse rotation crank that makes all the difference in the world....
P_20210313_134132_1.jpg
P_20210313_134118.jpg
To anyone looking for a reverse rotation 390 FE crank, I have one. :lol:
If your brand new rear main pours oil out, and you have the reverse rotation crankshaft.... It won't seal. No matter how perfectly you install the seal. :D
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
two-bit
Blue Oval Fan
Blue Oval Fan

Post by two-bit »

Thanks for the follow thru, and the pictures. Always good to see the end solution.
On another note, i wonder what kind of seal design was used on the marine application crank to get it to seal ?
Did it use a different design rear main cap ? :hmm:

I am guessing to some one who maybe building the opposite engine on a twin FE powered boat might be looking for that crank. Otherwise...

Two-bit
Living life full throttle on the North Coast of America!!!

72' F-350, DRW, 360, NP435, Dana 70, 159" WB, P.S., P.B., 12' flatbed, 10,000 GVW.
lovemycbx

Post by lovemycbx »

Exact same seal design and cap but the engine rotates the opposite direction in the marine application to drive the prop the correct way. Imagine the crankshaft rotating clockwise looking at the crankshaft seal grooves and you'll see why it's pulling oil from inside the engine to outside and the replacement crank I have pictured rotating the same direction would pull oil back in to the engine as it should.