'69 F100 Ranger - Canada-born, Atlanta-raised, movie star(?)

Post progress reports on your project truck(s)

Moderator: FORDification

basketcase0302
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Re: '69 F100 Ranger - Canada-born, Atlanta-raised, movie star(?)

Post by basketcase0302 »

Good job on the brake lines!
Pretty sure I used the exact same thing when I made the coils on those lines, (and yes guys find out quickly how important they are if they don't make them as just worn cab bushings alone like most our bumps have will cause enough vibration to cause new leaks!

Congrats on getting it moving again! :woohoo:
Jeff
http://www.fordification.com/forum/view ... 22&t=46251
SOLD-71 F-350 dually flatbed, 302 / .030 over V-8 with a "baby"C-6, B & M truckshifter, Dana70/4.11 ratio, intermittent wipers, tilt steering, full LED lighting on the flat bed, and no stereo yet (this way I can hear the rattles to diagnose)! SOLD!
Many Ford bumps / one 76' EB / and several dents through the years.
A lot of "oddball" Ford parts collected from working on them for 34 years now!
2008 Ford Escape 4 x 4
LeoZelig

Post by LeoZelig »

Thanks for the kind words, Jeff! Your encouragement is part of what makes Fordification such a great place. It's not just sharing information and ideas - it's encouraging each other in the pursuit of keeping these beauties on the road! :fr:

And I'm glad to hear your confirmation that those loops really were worth the trouble. And very interesting that you and I happened on the same solution! Great minds, huh? :D
-------
Chris
Project Thread: http://fordification.com/forum/viewtopi ... 22&t=96617
1969 F100 - Roy
SWB
3-on-the-floor and I hope to return it to 3-on-the-tree
49k on odometer... actual? Anyone's guess :)
LeoZelig

Post by LeoZelig »

On to an update from mid-July. When the truck came to us, it had an icky after-market Grant steering wheel. It was very loose, and it was a smaller diameter than stock. With manual steering, I need the extra leverage a big wheel affords.
steering before (Small).jpg
Earlier in the year my wife found a steering wheel on eBay, and it had been sitting in a box until we could get the brakes sorted. I gotta say, I hit the marriage lottery! She's a great parts searcher, and is interested in our truck! And she's a top-notch helping hand with anything I need - brake bleeding, whatever! :D

As I removed the wheel, I found one of the three bolts had fallen out entirely, another was super-lose, and another was just kinda loose - no wonder the wheel was loose! :eek:

Once I got the wheel out, I noticed that someone had really boogered up the threads on the shaft. I was worried that I wouldn't be able to get the nut back on and I might have to replace the whole dang shaft!
mangled shaft (Small).jpg
Fortunately, I had a thread repair kit with a tool with the right threads, and I gingerly worked the threads back into a useable state.

While the wheel was off, I also found that the auto-cancel turn signal mechanism was cracked, so that goes on the "eventually" list. Also, it looks like some horn contactor pieces are missing. Something else to figure out.

While holding my tongue in the right position, I carefully put the nut on the new wheel.
steering after (Small).jpg
In the end, you can't argue - it's an improvement!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
-------
Chris
1969 F100 - Roy
SWB
hfdco4
Blue Oval Guru
Blue Oval Guru

Post by hfdco4 »

Thanks for the updates. Truck is coming along nicely!
Paul
:fr: FE390PC
1970 F250 4x4
2016 F150 4x4 2.7 ECO
Gone 1997, 1999 & 2003 F150 4x4s
Gone 1988, 1989 & 1991 Broncs
LeoZelig

Post by LeoZelig »

hfdco4 wrote:Thanks for the updates. Truck is coming along nicely!
Hi Paul, thanks for your encouraging words! They put gas in my tank. :thup:

I'll keep the updates coming :wink: . I've learned so much from other folks' messages here, I need to keep putting some up myself.
-------
Chris
1969 F100 - Roy
SWB
basketcase0302
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by basketcase0302 »

Good job on the steering wheel, (never ceases to amaze me how bad the PO's can mess up our trucks)!

Hey...your wife have a sister in her early 60's LOL? :lol:
Jeff
SOLD-71 F-350 dually flatbed, 302 / .030 over V-8 with a "baby"C-6, B & M truckshifter, Dana70/4.11 ratio, intermittent wipers, tilt steering, full LED lighting on the flat bed, and no stereo yet (this way I can hear the rattles to diagnose)! SOLD!
2008 Ford Escape 4 x 4
Fordkid68
Preferred User
Preferred User

Post by Fordkid68 »

Awesome work on those lines! they look factory! keep up the good work. You'll be driving it in no time.
Adam

My first truck,
1968 F100 lwb 2wd soon to have a 351w, 5-speed
http://www.fordification.com/forum/view ... 15#p771357
^^Build Thread^^
04 Subaru Outback (daily driver), with a 2.5l boxer H4
(no other projects, YET!)
"Might be crazy but I ain't dumb"!
hfdco4
Blue Oval Guru
Blue Oval Guru

Post by hfdco4 »

I really enjoy watching all the builds. I try and keep my thread up to date.
Paul
1970 F250 4x4
2016 F150 4x4 2.7 ECO
LeoZelig

Post by LeoZelig »

Fordkid68 wrote:Awesome work on those lines! they look factory! keep up the good work. You'll be driving it in no time.
Thanks Adam! I certainly put a lot of work into them, so I'm glad it shows.
hfdco4 wrote:I really enjoy watching all the builds. I try and keep my thread up to date.
I need to take a look at your thread! Always great to get ideas and encouragement.
basketcase0302 wrote:(never ceases to amaze me how bad the PO's can mess up our trucks)!
You said it! I hope the next person with my bump thanks me for the extra touches more than they shake their head! :-D
-------
Chris
1969 F100 - Roy
SWB
LeoZelig

Post by LeoZelig »

Another update from mid-July.

While I had the seat out and old carpet removed, it seemed like the perfect time to give the cab a good scrubbing from top to bottom. Grime really accumulates over 53 years.

I decided removing the headliner would be a good idea so I didn't damage it with soap and water.
headliner.jpg
I noticed the headliner was warped, too, and bulging in places. I pulled the headliner down, and - hello - what is this?
blob.jpg
Ah, it looks like a little animal has been busy.
nest.jpg
Yes, this was definitely a mouse penthouse at some point in the history of the truck. That headliner will not be going back into the cab. At some point I will replace it. I notice the ABS replacement is a bunch cheaper than the cardboard/fiber board replacements - anyone have an opinion on the ABS models?

Anyway, I scrubbed and sprayed the cab to within an inch of its life. It's a good feeling to be able to touch things without thinking "eeew, I hope that grime isn't anything especially gross" :lol:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
-------
Chris
1969 F100 - Roy
SWB
basketcase0302
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by basketcase0302 »

Yes, this was definitely a mouse penthouse at some point in the history of the truck. That headliner will not be going back into the cab. At some point I will replace it. I notice the ABS replacement is a bunch cheaper than the cardboard/fiber board replacements - anyone have an opinion on the ABS models?

Anyway, I scrubbed and sprayed the cab to within an inch of its life. It's a good feeling to be able to touch things without thinking "eeew, I hope that grime isn't anything especially gross" :lol:
Yes but don't quote me on the proper material name.
You'll find it at Lowe's in the building supply department, (where the wood is).
In commercial property management we called it FRP, (fiberglass reinforced panel). And there is also one more, (also comes in 4' X 8' sheets) that has a hard fiber/wood type composition with a smooth finish similar to the sheets of formica you'll find in the counter top/cabinet department there.

You at least have the old headliner to start with, (use that for your template/cut your new headliner larger by at least 1/2" then trim 3-4 times to get your fitment perfect).
You might also see where a few guys used this material here in older threads. :wink:

Aww...man the mouse/rat's nests I yanked out of BC #16 when I brought her home were scary! Above the headliner/under the seat/under the dash/in the side air vents and more! :eek:
Jeff
2008 Ford Escape 4 x 4
3 Speed

Post by 3 Speed »

Enjoying your thread and your good work.

Your to-do list looks like a copy of mine - and I have had my 67 since 2009!

Keep plugging!
67 F101 Custom Cab longbed, 352 V8, 3 speed manual
hfdco4
Blue Oval Guru
Blue Oval Guru

Post by hfdco4 »

I actually bought one of the ABS Molded units to install. I like it because there is a spot for a radio and there are four speakers in it! Looks great sitting there, just not installed yet. As for the cleaning part, it is amazing how much dirt is in there. The wife and I actually pressure washed our cab inside and out.
Paul
1970 F250 4x4
2016 F150 4x4 2.7 ECO
LeoZelig

Post by LeoZelig »

basketcase0302 wrote:In commercial property management we called it FRP, (fiberglass reinforced panel). And there is also one more, (also comes in 4' X 8' sheets) that has a hard fiber/wood type composition with a smooth finish similar to the sheets of formica you'll find in the counter top/cabinet department there
Thanks for the leads on materials, Jeff. Is the other board you are describing masonite?
basketcase0302 wrote:You at least have the old headliner to start with,

Well... I don't :cry: . But I can always mock up a template with some cardboard, I guess. I figured I'd be installing a new one and wouldn't need the old one - and the old one was not something I relished storing in the house. Now I wish I'd kept it. Ah well...
3 Speed wrote:Enjoying your thread and your good work.
Glad you're enjoying it, and thanks for the compliment, 3 Speed! Do you have a project thread I can check out?
-------
Chris
1969 F100 - Roy
SWB
LeoZelig

Post by LeoZelig »

hfdco4 wrote:I actually bought one of the ABS Molded units to install.
Hi Paul, I've seen those in the catalogs, but you are the first person I've run into who has one. Good to hear you are pleased - it's something to think about.
hfdco4 wrote:The wife and I actually pressure washed our cab inside and out.
If I'd had a pressure washer, I might have done the same - that certainly would have revealed any more spots weakened by rust :D
-------
Chris
1969 F100 - Roy
SWB